Sign in to follow this  
stephanovich

Upgrading a 940nm camera...how feasible ?

Hi...Is the following idea feasible and valid or a complete dream ?

I`ve had some problems with a 940nm bullet camera and have posted other threads on these issues...I have an option to send the **** thing back for a refund...but then I`m facing a situation similar to the one I had before getting the first camera...what to buy/how can I be certain it will meet my needs etc ?

Another option is to try to upgrade the camera myself to a degree whereby it actually does what it needs to...I`m not sure how this could be achieved...perhaps,for example,getting some 10mm leds instead of the 5mm it has would boost the distance of view (I would hope),but then I`d need to alter the resistors etc etc...

Is this a valid idea ?

p.s...I have an 850nm cctv system which is absolutely fine...it`s just this 940nm cam which I thought would help resolve an issue...or rather it would resolve it if it did as claimed

That's a very small camera and doesn't seem outdoor worthy. How and where do you have it installed? That would help determine a proper replacement.

That's a very small camera and doesn't seem outdoor worthy. How and where do you have it installed? That would help determine a proper replacement.

Yes I agree...it just doesn`t seem capable of outdoor use...I`ve tried it indoors and it gives a good 7/8 metres although that is at the limit of it`s range...out of doors is another matter entirely...I thought at first it was just the condensation issue but it`s just not up to the job.Originally I had a long talk with the company I got it from and was assured it was up to it but I realise that along with the problems it`s not too powerful.

10 + metres would be ideal but even 8m would do...I`ve tried it pointing down from a tree in the rear garden but although it picks up a dark/blurry image it`s not good enough (neighbour prowler/peeper is the problem and I`m advised that I need a decent image).

I have looked into trying an illuminator and am waiting for a 36 led "bulb" to try to give a bit more distance but it`s a lot of aggro...as said in another thread,these issues shouldn`t be experienced with a new camera but I`m just looking at options.

10 + metres would be ideal but even 8m would do...I`ve tried it pointing down from a tree in the rear garden but although it picks up a dark/blurry image it`s not good enough (neighbour prowler/peeper is the problem and I`m advised that I need a decent image).

hi for 10m with 940 you will need to look at range of 20m spec or above. built in 940nm cameras are very limited if at all being true 940nm.

or go withstandard IR for that range.

Will a traditional size bullet or dome work for you? Must it be a tiny stealth camera?

Yes a normal bullet size would be fine if it kept up the power for around 10m.

hi for 10m with 940 you will need to look at range of 20m spec or above. built in 940nm cameras are very limited if at all being true 940nm.

or go withstandard IR for that range.

Do you think I ought to think in terms of around 50% of spec ?

There`s a very sharp drop off point with 940nm I`ve learned...the 850nm cameras I have actually perform above the spec

Most decent bullet or eyeball dome cameras with IR can throw to 10m and beyond. They're of course more effective at half that, less effective at the far end. Can't you supply exterior lighting? It will beat the hell out of IR at the far end where you might need to see better. And then if it's a motion security light that goes back off, your IR camera will at least provide a decent view...provided spiders don't make a home on it or it's not a foggy night. For some reason you got that little camera thing that won't do the job. Get a traditional bullet or dome camera- they will do the job better for you.

Most decent bullet or eyeball dome cameras with IR can throw to 10m and beyond. They're of course more effective at half that, less effective at the far end. Can't you supply exterior lighting? It will beat the hell out of IR at the far end where you might need to see better. And then if it's a motion security light that goes back off, your IR camera will at least provide a decent view...provided spiders don't make a home on it or it's not a foggy night. For some reason you got that little camera thing that won't do the job. Get a traditional bullet or dome camera- they will do the job better for you.

Thanks...yes I`ve just had exterior lighting put up so that will help and may be the answer...as for the 940nm camera I have,the refund will go towards something that actually does what it`s said to do...

Hi...I wanted to come back and update this...

After much frustration I decided I would use this p.o.s camera for some educational purposes and took it apart to see just exactly what was inside...that began an interest and as far as these small cameras go,they seem to be relatively simple,consisting of a pcb sensor board and a lens and not much else...of course,yes,there are different standards of sensor board but basically what I`ve managed to do is find a pcb board that fit my needs (940nm),bought some lenses that were open to 940nm,attached the leads...and I now have a pcb camera that actually sees in 940nm and gives a decent image and housed in the casing...it took a while to understand and of course this is all small scale stuff,consisting of my rear 50ft garden...but I`ve now a real interest in this stuff to the extent that I`m trying find some courses and see where that takes me...

Does anybody know where good comprehensive cctv courses can be found in the London area ?

Thanks.