markfleet

Hidden CCTV for Grade II listed house in conservation area

Hi

I'm all new to CCTV and was wondering if anyone could offer me some good ideas for what I want to do.

The scenario is that I have recently moved into a Grade II listed house within a small town that is a conservation area. The house itself is close to the road with just the footpath between. I would like CCTV for a couple of reasons - one being that a van recently reversing out of a side road opposite my house made a slight collision with our window sill , drove off and it was just lucky that a passerby wrote down the number plate + people walk back from a nearby pub past my house late at night.

What I would like to do is add CCTV of some sort to the front on the house and possibly add CCTV to our back courtyard too but not as important. I have to be careful being a conservation area so really I should be asking permission if I want to add a camera to the outside of the house which I imagine would be refused. The idea's I have had so far are as followed:

1. Keep camera's internal looking out of windows i.e. one on ceiling of my porch looking down out of the door window - only covers the area in front of the door and I imagine night vision would not work through the glass?).

2. Camera's in our Gas meter box which protrudes slightly from the front of the house - not that keen as still won't get very good angles

3. Put a descent camera under the eaves at the far end of my house looking down at an angle to cover most of the front of the house - I'm sure this would capture the best video but I have then got to work out a way of making it almost unnoticeable. Has anyone got any ideas for this? The drain pipe drops down the front of the house at the far end however leaving a gap initially between the pipe and the roof so at least from some angles the camera could be largely out of site. Another thing I thought of is that I have an old aerial cable at this point which comes out of the eves (where a loft aerial must have been in the past), comes down the wall and into the lounge where the DVR would be. Could I re-use this cable for the camera? Presume it would just be 75 ohm cable so suitable??

Should I be thinking about any particular types of camera? i.e. dome, bullet etc? I have already bought a 4 channel DVR for the lounge.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks

Mark

Well cctv cameras are very essential for surveillance and it is indeed a good thought to gofor one.When you buy one specifying the needs of your purpose they also help you find the best location for the same.So though you could think aloud about ideas it would be better to take professional advice for the same.

Under the eaves is probably your best bet - there are lots of low-profile, unobtrusive dome styles that would probably blend in nicely, and most types can be painted to match their surroundings, making them even less visible.

Many thanks

I plan on having 3 camera's which I will fit myself. Primarily a dome camera on the underside of the eaves which will be in white to match the eaves. It will need to be 600TVL or higher and have the ability to manually zoom in so I can get the right view. Next there will be a very small camera looking out of our front bay window to get a different view (mainly because it is right next to the DVR and I bought a cheap small camera to play around with so may aswell use it). Finally I am going to buy a lantern for the back door which has a built in camera. I will be getting a kit to make this camera wireless as too far to wire.

Should hopefully do the job.