DrBob

Nubie question on close up IP camera

Don't know much about this area, but here is my problem. I have an application where I would like to see items of ~1/4" on a field of view of 3' at a distance of ~12'. I calculated that this would require a lens of ~20mm and a PPF of 200-400. I would like to have a megapixel IP addressable camera that either comes with a 20mm lens (or is in a variable range) or allows for an interchangable lenses. Not stuck on camera style, but if a dome, would need to be able to invert camera so that it could be mounted upside down on a tripod (dome up vs down). PTZ would be great, but not required. Think being able to count the number of lady bugs on a 3' x 3' sheet of paper from 12' (not the real application, but comparable resolution). Monitoring will be done wirelessly via an iPad or laptop with no internet connection, so no cloud stuff). If any of the more knowledgeable folks here (that should be most) have any suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated. Most of what I can find online are to long range for my needs (3mm lens). Thanks.

Don't know much about this area, but here is my problem. I have an application where I would like to see items of ~1/4" on a field of view of 3' at a distance of ~12'. I calculated that this would require a lens of ~20mm and a PPF of 200-400. I would like to have a megapixel IP addressable camera that either comes with a 20mm lens (or is in a variable range) or allows for an interchangable lenses. Not stuck on camera style, but if a dome, would need to be able to invert camera so that it could be mounted upside down on a tripod (dome up vs down). PTZ would be great, but not required. Think being able to count the number of lady bugs on a 3' x 3' sheet of paper from 12' (not the real application, but comparable resolution). Monitoring will be done wirelessly via an iPad or laptop with no internet connection, so no cloud stuff). If any of the more knowledgeable folks here (that should be most) have any suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated. Most of what I can find online are to long range for my needs (3mm lens). Thanks.

Check Avigilon --- 2.0-H3-B2

2.0 Megapixel Day/Night H.264 HD

4.7-84.6mm Camera

u can get 1MP or 2MP

Auto focus and Zoom right from your chair

The trickiest part with a longer lens may be finding something that will focus that closely... I'd suggest a cam that will allow you to adjust the back-focus (most common in box cams with CS-mount lenses) so you can fine-tune the focus. Something a little higher megapixel (3MP and up) will allow you to keep it zoomed out a little more while maintaining your PPF. If you're watching 3D objects (like ladybugs), you might want to consider a manual-iris lens as well, so you can control the DOF.

Ho about ACTi KCM-5311E or KCM-5211E?

2.0 or 4.0 Mpixel outdoor cameras with zoom and autofocus, and they are not that expensive. Here in Poland KCM-5311E is on the same price lvl like Vivotek IP8362.

KCM-5211E:

p_CV9zHB6po

KCM-5311E:

LC_adLiwQJI