Sign in to follow this  
gazz

Thinking about a pc based system

I have an aviary, and a month ago i bought a swann dvr8-1200 dvr with 4 of their 480tvl camera's bundled with it, i've added a 520tvl 1/3 sensor cam and a sunkwang ptz cam, and am really getting annoyed with it's lack of functions and ass backwards way of operating things... especially the ptz controls.

So i've been thinking of ditching the swann DVR, and replacing it with a PC with a cctv card in it,

i'll have to buy all the bits to make the pc, so not sure what specs i need to be looking at,

I have a touch screen monitor sitting around, and would like to have that in my bird room as one of the ways to view the camera feeds, and operate the cctv software, i.e. as a mouse... but just touching a box to select which cam to view etc,

i'd also use the computer to keep breeding records of the birds on, again using the touch screen with an on-screen keyboard.

The main place i view the camera's is the living room and bedroom, ATM i have the 2 BNC outputs from the swann dvr going from the bird room to the house, and one to each TV, plus an infrared remote extender TX at each TV, with the RX in the bird room pointing at the DVR, so i can control it via the remote from either TV.

i need to be able to do the same with a pc based system, do i look for a cctv card with bnc video outs? or do that via another board in the pc of the gfx card???

i'd like to have a PTZ joystick and keypad to control most things remotely if possible instead of the infra red remote, need wireless operation, but could i go wifi, blutooth or something like that??

Recording resolution and fps isnt really that much of an issue, i use my current system in live view 99% of the time, i have just set 3 cams to record on movement that are pointed at nests, to capture egg laying, hatching or any other things that may happen,

however i'd like to be able to view the system remotely on other computers, as well as my symbian 5 based nokia phone, and i'm not sure if they view the live feed or what would be recorded,

any recomendations to what i need??

Hi. gazz.

aver NV 5000 card will do what you want and more. if you have a touch screen everything can be done on screen. even your PTZ ..... you just put finger on screen move finger left or right and your PTZ moves with it.

these cards come with TV output.

computers, as well as my symbian 5 based nokia phone

again with symbian you have full control of ptz but with symbian (java) you only get 1 screen at a time but has quick screen change.

if you want a ip to try on your mobile PM me.

hi, cctv for watching bird room, it is interesting. I know someone use cctv for watching weather.

there's a few of us in the british bird breeding scene who have cameras in our aviaries,

some have them mainly for security.. pointed at the entrances and surrounding areas,

but a couple of us have them for watching the birds, a friend found his system very helpfull when he got home to find a nest destroyed and the eggs chucked about... turns out it was the blackbird **** wanting to mate with the hen again, before his last clutch had even hathed,

removing the **** bird, and re-building the nest he saved 3 of the chicks,

it's great to watch them when the eggs begin to hatch too,

before i had the cctv system, i had a single camera pointed at a song thrush nest, and was able to spot when they stopped feeding 2 of the chicks, so was able to remove them for hand rearing.

now got a ptz cam in there, and that is just amazing, being able to follow them about their daily lives,

of course i get to see so much more on the camera's than being near the aviary in person, as despite them being captive bred birds, they are still wary of humans.