gazz

ptz joysticks... analouge or digital???

I'm looking to buy a ptz joystick to control my 2 ptz domes,

i'm wondering about the way the joysticks work, are they analouge joysticks that adjust the pan/tilt speed, i.e. push the stick a little to the left, the cam moves slowly to the left, push the stick all over to the left, the cam moves fast to the left?

or are they digital, and you have to adjust the speed manually, i.e. no matter how far you push the stick, the dome moves at the speed you set?

As with so much else: "it depends". Most joysticks you find will probably be analog type, but not all cameras and protocols support proportional control. They'll still work with an analog stick, they just won't start moving until the joystick moves past a certain point.

ahhh, typical,

wonder if my sunkwang SK-V106/Z240 domes can work with the variable speed protocol.

ahhh, typical,

wonder if my sunkwang SK-V106/Z240 domes can work with the variable speed protocol.

hi yes its variable. well its not so much the cameras as how good the controller is and its also found on good DVRs

Probably, that brand are usually full featured. Look in the on screen menus for the domes as there is usually an option to turn proportional tracking on or off. Also make a note of the protocol settings so you can get a controller that supports the same protocol and baud rate. Then you'll know for sure. Too late now if they don't support proportional tracking anyway.

See if you can borrow a controller to try out first. Setup is a breeze. (usually)

just got my second sunkwang ptz camera,

and picked up a couple of "hi-speed ptz controller"s with broken joysticks... i.e. shafts snapped off, very basic old controllers, but they were cheap,

after fannying about for ages and not getting any response on any setting of the controller dip switches, i had an idea... and swapped the setting switches back to front, i.e. where it said to be on, i put that switch off etc, and sure enough, the damn thing worked, got it on pelco-D 9600,

proportional joystick works nicely, menu button dosent... but i remembered seeing on here about using preset code 95, and that works instead,

I just need to run a twisted pair from the bird shed to the house now,

i really want to see about making this wireless, but as i cant control the swann dvr via the ptz controller, i'm not sure it's worth it atm, as i still need the infrared remote to change camera on the dvr.