cvasara

Public School Bus Camera System

In the past week, we have been asked by two different school districts, if we sell, install, and maintain camera systems for school buses. While we have installed fixed camera systems at the schools, we have never sold, or installed a bus system, and really don't have a contact or supplier that provides, school bus systems. One of the school districts gave me a proposal from PRO-VISION Video Systems, as well as their brochures. They are located in Michigan, we are in downstate Illinois. None of the suppliers for electronics systems we use, handle school bus systems. I'd like to respond to our clients, and wonder if anyone here has any suggestions, or direct us to reliable suppliers for school bus systems?

Thanks for any help and suggestions the forum might have.

It is a little more complicated than that. Most of the time they are looking for other data too. Most of the ones we have looked at bidding on required inertia sensors, braking data, panic buttons, and several other bells and whistles. Most basic mobile DVR's will not be able to accomodate that stuff. One of my colleagues has been researching this for a few days now, but I don't have his data with me. I will PM you when I get in touch with him. I would appreciate you sharing your info as well. What part of the country are you in?

Thanks, ssnapier, for your reply. Yes I do understand that 'they' will want to explore additional features, I really think that in this rural area, just watching and recording those "Little Darlins" is where the school districts would like to start. I think cost would be a real deterrent to adding those bells and whistles. But that too, allows for additional sales opportunities, and I really don't think they are that difficult to add to a system. A basic GPS tracking system, will record date, time, route, speed and a stand alone system to do that is rather inexpensive.

We are located in Midwest Illinois, (Galesburg / Monmouth / Roseville) I'm sure that tells you exactly what cornfields we are in. Basicly, we are a communications sales and service company, that works with fixed security camera system. Pretty basic stuff.

Well if they will allow you to buy non-American stuff, there are some pretty good options coming out of China and South Korea for this application.

Oh and all of those bells and whistles will probably save them money in the long run. I know that most Governments are self-insured, but the data provided by the "deluxe" DVR/ NVR's could very easily help them win a lawsuit or even prevent a lawsuit from happening in the first place.

Hi again. I'm not sure the 'made in America' tag works well with cameras, DVRs, and a lot of other electronics equipment, including the communications products we sell, install, and service. I guess I wasn't even aware that the video equipment that most of us sell, and service isn't from offshore. So, at this stage, I don't see that as a problem. What I do see, is that it isn't easy to find a company, a supplier, who is in the supplying business, to an independent company, such as ours, I'm talking about the school bus type systems. We don't have any problem with suppliers for fixed video equipment, or even camera systems for police cars, But school bus type systems are quite a different story. That is why I came here.

Hi again. I'm not sure the 'made in America' tag works well with cameras, DVRs, and a lot of other electronics equipment, including the communications products we sell, install, and service. I guess I wasn't even aware that the video equipment that most of us sell, and service isn't from offshore. So, at this stage, I don't see that as a problem. What I do see, is that it isn't easy to find a company, a supplier, who is in the supplying business, to an independent company, such as ours, I'm talking about the school bus type systems. We don't have any problem with suppliers for fixed video equipment, or even camera systems for police cars, But school bus type systems are quite a different story. That is why I came here.

Hello, I sent you a PM with some information.