dorough

PC-based vs. stand-alone DVR

I'm in the market for a new 16-channel DVR. Someone on this forum mentioned that they preferred PC-based DVR over standalone. Can anyone offer anymore insight into this?

I'm in the market for a new 16-channel DVR. Someone on this forum mentioned that they preferred PC-based DVR over standalone. Can anyone offer anymore insight into this?

Not sure where you've read that, most of the posts I've read seem to favor an appliance. A PC based solution will offer lots of customization options and easier access to recorded content. It will also need more expensive hardware and maintenance. Unless the PC isn't network connected, you can't just let it sit there. It needs care and feeding. An appliance just runs.

PC based systems have been around for a long time .... and you do have more control.

standalone systems can be both. either linux or windows based. windows again gives more options and better upgrades.

but it depends what you require from your system.

Is this for analog, digital? Business, home? What would be your requirements for the system?

This is for a home-owner association pool & recreation area. The cameras are analog. My main requirement is to be able to quickly scan through days/nights of footage while quickly switching between cameras. I don't want to have to wait for video to download to be able to review. My current Dedicated Micros ECO-9 performs well in that manner but the NIC just went bad so it's either repair or replace. Since it's 8 years old, replacement is looking like a better option, but I need to become educated on what's available and what will work best for me. Thanks for your replies!

This is for a home-owner association pool & recreation area. The cameras are analog. My main requirement is to be able to quickly scan through days/nights of footage while quickly switching between cameras. I don't want to have to wait for video to download to be able to review. My current Dedicated Micros ECO-9 performs well in that manner but the NIC just went bad so it's either repair or replace. Since it's 8 years old, replacement is looking like a better option, but I need to become educated on what's available and what will work best for me. Thanks for your replies!

See my response in your duplicate thread:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=31417

The one I posted there is actually used at our community pool. We have a point-to-point wireless connection (ubituiti) where it dumps to a 15Mbs upload link that allows board members to see it, the assn manager to review footage (to ensure vendors are working the hours billed) and for the pool manager to keep an eye on the teenage lifeguards.

sorry to reawaken an old thread, but to the person who setup the pool surveilance system , how do you store the video for reviews by your board members? pc based dvr or nvr ?

sorry to reawaken an old thread, but to the person who setup the pool surveilance system , how do you store the video for reviews by your board members? pc based dvr or nvr ?

I ended up getting a Digital Watchdog VMAX Flex 16 and LOVE it. It's very easy to configure & use. Here's the link: http://dwcc.tv/product_dvrs/dvrs_main.asp?id=99

To answer your question, the VMAX makes grabbing still frames and complete videos as easy as the click of one button. After that, I can distribute it however I wish... e-mail, private YouTube channel, etc. Does that answer your question?

I ended up getting a Digital Watchdog VMAX Flex 16 and LOVE it. It's very easy to configure & use. Here's the link: http://dwcc.tv/product_dvrs/dvrs_main.asp?id=99

To answer your question, the VMAX makes grabbing still frames and complete videos as easy as the click of one button. After that, I can distribute it however I wish... e-mail, private YouTube channel, etc. Does that answer your question?

Sorry I need to read the manual

ignore my post for now

I see , how does the point to point wireless with ubiquiti

camera connects to the DVR whose input is 16 channel bnc my assumptions are your cameras are ip cameras ?

Thank you