dorough

DVR alarm sensors

I've never dealt with connecting sensors to a DVR. In fact, I don't even know what kind of sensors are available. What are some of the common sensors that can be attached and what would they be used for?

Usually, all the sensor input is looking for is a short across its terminals (or from the input terminal to the common or ground terminal) - with that, you can use just about any switch source you can think of: you could rig a pushbutton "panic" switch, you could use a standard PIR motion sensor, or a magnetic door contact... use your imagination With something that outputs a voltage, you could use that to trigger a relay, with the relay contacts across the sensor input.

I've never dealt with connecting sensors to a DVR. In fact, I don't even know what kind of sensors are available. What are some of the common sensors that can be attached and what would they be used for?

Typically, DVRs have dry contacts (normally open, normally closed) for input and relay contacts for the output. Some come with voltage output so if you list your brand/model here I could probably give you more information.