digitalrust

CCTV camera needed for close motion with svideo out

Hi there, I need a CCTV expert who knows these cameras that can tell me what camera to buy that will solve my task.

So my task is:

I have to be able shoot video of a 4" x 5" rectangular area on a machine. The video signal needs to be as high quality as I can push through an s-video cable. The s-video signal will go to the s-video jack of an older video mixer which will then send it to several older Sharp XG-P10XU projectors.

The 4" x 5" area on the machine I am taking video of can be illuminated as brightly as needed. The subject of the video has variable motion from still to a maximum of about 1 meter per second or 2.23 mph.

The video image needs to be sharply focused with as little motion blur as possible so I'm thinking a lot of light and a camera with a quick shutter speed would work. Finally decent color is important.

A used camera from ebay would be fine as long as it will take the video ok.

I know someone here must know a make and model of CCTV camera and lens combination that will do the job because it seems like there is an ocean of CCTV cameras.

Does any one have an idea of what I need.

Thanks for your help!

Is this indoor or outdoor? How far away is the mounting point you have in mind? Is there ever a possibility that you might need IR light or will it always be lit with visible light? The resolution of that projector can handle anything from a plain jane 540TVL analog camera all the way up to a 1.3MP camera, but the other question that springs to mind is do you intend to record any of this stuff?

Well, lets see. This is an indoor environment. The camera's mounting point could be as much as 20" from the 4" x 5" field of view but no closer than 6" from the 4" x 5" field. The ideal mounting position for the camera would be 10-11".

Right now there is no need to record the image. I think the resolution limitation here is the mixer and its s-video input and output.

Coming up with a camera that matches the maximum resolution of the projector 1024 x 768 so the camera could be connected directly to the projector in one application and also be capable capable of connecting to the mixer through svideo in the anticipated application would be ideal.

Ideas?

Hi there. Just a couple of (possibly wrong) thoughts on this.

* Get a box style camera that uses CS-mount lenses. This will give you the best range of lenses to use. Look for a quality name-brand model, like samsung, panasonic, bosch, sony, etc. You don't need awesome low light performance, so look for an older, lower priced model. One with a resolution of 500 to 600 lines is about as good as they get.

Get a camera that supports both CS-mount and C-mount lenses - these cameras have a wide back-focus range, which you will find useful for the close focus of your "macro" filming.

* Use a varifocal lens so you can zoom into the machine. Those with a focal length of 3.5 to 8mm are fairly common, and shouldn't be too dear. The actual focal length lens you need depends on the size of the camera imager (1/2 inch, 1/3", 1/4" etc). There are formulas/diagrams to calculate this (search for "Field Of View"). You don't need one with an automatic iris, as you will be providing a constant light level.

* Resolution. A 540 line camera will give you about 720 lines of resolution across the image. Image you're looking at a picket fence. Each wooden paling is a line, and the gap between the palings is counted as another line, so you'd see a max. of 360 palings.

Footnote - What machine are you watching? Be aware that the camera may behave as a stroboscope, and make the machine appear stationary (youtube video:

).

Edited: Removed suggestion about exposure times, 'cause suggestion wouldn't work.