kevbabes

IP address changing

Hi.

I have a 4 camera CCTV system which works on a website and I can also view it on my iphone. However the IP address keeps changing so after a couple of days I have to look at the system, see the new ip address and then change the settings on the iPhone.

I'm currently using it in DHCP mode.. Not sure if this is the right one - I have options of PPPOE or STATIC instead but when I click on these I can't seem to match an ip address with anything that works.

How do I configure the CCTV so it has a static ip address ?

I have the instructions from the iPhone app but can't understand them.

I would be very grateful for any help... btw I am completely useless when it comes to networking jargon so please be patient with me.

Thanks.

Kevin

The easist thing to do is go to no-ip.com and sign up for a free dynamic dns account. You can choose a custom web address to access your dvr. You then have to look for their free updater client and download/install. This runs in the background of any pc and periodically checks to see wheather you internet ip address has changed. If it did it will change it on their server and you will be able to access the dvr with the address you created on no-ip.

Only issue here is the computer has to always be on - or on often to detect ip address changes. I have an old dedicated pc with the service on it. I also leave the cameras up all the time. So all I have to do is turn on monitor and there are the cams. Comes in handy if I hear a noice and want to check quickly.

If you can, use static on your dvr. Make sure you can access the dvr over your local network (lan) using the static ip. For example that local ip will most likely be 192.168.1.x. The x represents a number you either created or the dvr came with. DCHP allows your router to automaticlly change the local address of the dvr at any time. You don't want this. With static the dvr is telling the router it is happy with its own local ip address and the router will say no problem.

Some dvrs subscribe to auto dns updaters like dyndns.com but that service is no longer free. I use that one, and its updater, but was grandfathered in before they started charging.

Thanks but I don't want to leave a pc on all the time.

There must be a way to set this up without the ip address changing !

contact you ISP and get them to setup a stsic IP address for you and disable DHCP for the DVR and assign a static IP for your LAN (i.e. outside the DHCP range of your router)

Some routers have the entire range and if you want a static IP you have to exclude it from the range, others have a set range and you simply assign an address outside that range, still others will read the IP address of your DVR and not assign it again

What make and model is your router?

Then you can switch your network on and off to your hearts content.