Sign in to follow this  
briank

CCTV Overload

I've been lurking on this forum, and just overloaded, really have no clue where to begin.

I have a brick home, in the New York, so the size isn't huge or anything. One of our family members has a restraining order on someone who we feel is visiting the house, but we want a security system so that we can check to make sure he's not.

I was thinking maybe 4 cameras is enough, I think outside would be ideal. I'm not the most adept at installing things is my only issue (the software part of the networking I'll be fine with, but just the wiring I'll have difficulty. No tools + no experience in that). I figure I can learn though, any good articles?

I'd like to spend the least amount of money for a fairly decent system, so that we can recognize him and point him out to the police if anything happens.

We have a DVR, that someone gave, but I really can't get much information out of it. All I can get is a model number sticker that says MDE1209S, but it's not the one I linked below, it looks far older.

http://www.neiparts.com/section/PE/140/Stand_Alone_DVR.php

If anyone can recommend a system, and some installation instructions that would be appreciated.

The wiring part isn't that bad, its just time consuming. You will want to research running coax vs twisted pair (CAT5/6). Each has its own advantages.

As far as equipment goes there are several tiers, so we need to know your budget. If all you intend to use the system for is this particular person, you could probably get away with a pretty cheap system, however you might be wishing you had more if anything else happens.