MZR

New Setup

Hi all

my van was broken into last night for the 3rd time in 2 years, i looking to fit a CCTV system to my house to watch the van over night i would like a decent camera which would be able to see at least 20m away and is hooked to my desktop to record , can you advise what would be best for the job and where to get this gear from

many thanks for your advise

Hi all

my van was broken into last night for the 3rd time in 2 years, i looking to fit a CCTV system to my house to watch the van over night i would like a decent camera which would be able to see at least 20m away and is hooked to my desktop to record , can you advise what would be best for the job and where to get this gear from

many thanks for your advise

You will really want to get a stand alone DVR because you will need a video card for your computer and they are not as reliable as a stand alone or dedicated PC. This is a good place to start for inexpensive DVRs and cameras http://www.cctvforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=31620&hilit=dahua+dvrs. I have one at my home and have no complaints - they are inexpensive too!

How is the lighting near the van? Some of us here, including myself, use the CNB VCM 24 VF camera and feel it is solid equipment. If the veri-focal lens is zoomed in on the camera there is a good chance you will get some detail at 20m. But these cameras need light - not a lot but some street light or motion light is helpful.

A lot of us here use Cat5 with baluns at the camera and DVR. It is easier to work with and allows for video and power. It also allows upgrades to IP down the line. Don't forget about power for the cameras and connectors if using RG-59 Siamese.

Stay away from the box stores

How well lit is the van at night? Streetlights, motion activated lights, or pitch black? Makes a big difference on what kind of camera to use.

Ever thought of a battery operated trail camera.. Battery powered, can be mounted nearly anywhere. Reconyx makes some nice "security style" housings.

Food for thought

spend the money on an IP camera. theres no point putting a camera up if you can see the breakin but cant get any info the cops can use.