brianparkes

A few questions about IP cameras and a DVR

The only experience I have had with DVRs is hooking up analog cameras to them. I was helping out one of my properties which have DVRs and analog cameras and came across an IP camera that was just lying around. The DVRs have 16 channel analog ports and 4 IP ports. They said they think that the camera was never installed due to licensing?

I've heard that each IP camera has to be licensed, but I don't have any actual experience with this. Is this true?

The camera has an analog feed line (BNC) and an ethernet port. It might be POE, but it also has a plug that can just be put in a wall outlet, so that is likely the way I will go with power.

I tried the feed with the BNC connector and was unimpressed with the picture quality. I'd like to try hooking it up to the IP ports, but I'd like to know if it is basically "plug and play" or will it be more complex than that?

Will I need to figure out an IP address to sync up with the DVR and camera?

If I need a license, where should I start to find one? The camera is likely 6 years old (or more), but it is a GE product, so I might be able to get help from them. I've had bad experiences getting information from them if I am not a licensed installer for their other brands Honeywell/Ultrak.

The camera is a GEC-IPDRH-24VA DR Series Rugged IP Dome Camera, 520 TVL, MPEG-4. I didn't write down the DVR information, but I can get it if it will help out.

I am just hoping for some pointers so I go in a little more prepared when I go there next week and any suggestions as to what to look out for is greatly appreciated.

It is possible that the camera is not compatible with the DVR. You need to know what model DVR you have and research that. Not all

IP cameras are compatible with all Hybrid DVR's. Also, that is an IP camera but it is not a megapixel or HD camera. It only has 520 tvl's.

For some reason that camera is expensive, I don't know why though? You might be better off finding out which IP megapixel camera is

compatible with your dvr and purchase one if your looking for a great quality picture.

I'll look into the model of the DVR to see if I can find a compatibility chart. The only reason that we have this camera is that when the DVRs were installed 6 years ago the company set up this IP camera for a demonstration or something (probably trying to get us to purchase them) and I think this one was left behind (or so I am told).

I hooked it up to a computer and got it working that way, but I'll just have to see if it will work with the DVRs that property has. At least by hooking it up to the computer I was able to get the IP address, which I'm sure will come in handy for the install.

I am not very impressed with the picture quality, but that makes sense since it is only 520 tvl's. I have a feeling it was closer to "top of the line" back in the day, but it is no better than most of the analog cameras we already have.