danlac

Motherboard for Video Insight

I just ordered the Video Insight VJ120, will be getting it in the middle of next week.

Video Insight is recommending Gigabyte Motherboards with Intel Chipsets. Personally, I have always prefered Asus motherboards.

Does anyone have a list of motherboards (Intel 478 or 775) that have worked with the Video Insight VJ120 or VJ240? Are Athlon 64 motherboards worth it for this type of application or is it just safer (for stability) to stick with Intel?

I will be using up to 16 cameras and I am looking for a motherboard that will give me a good performance and is very stable that will work with the VJ120. Will be using a 3.0 GHZ or 3.2 GHZ CPU.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

If you go AMD we recomend NForce based boards. With Intel it's not as big a deal as long as you aren't looking at something extremely exotic.

I'm running Micro ATX Gigabyte/775's, Asus/478, and Soyo/478. The Asus and Gigabyte were the easyist to set-up. Soyo was miserable to get past all the driver issues................CD that came with it was worthless. As far as 775 or 478? All work great so I can't say one is better than the other.

I also use Aspire Qpack cases...work very nice, small, durable so far........cooling is no prob.

go 3.2Ghz, 800fsb, 1gb, at a minium and you won't be disappointed. If you are planning on running more than 4 camera's at a higher resolution (640x240) then I'd go faster on the CPU.

I also recommend a minium 300Gb storage hard drive. I get close to 3 months with 16 cam's at MPEG4. I enclose the video storage (300Gb) in a USB external and then extend that away from the Server location to hide/protect the video in case the robber or thief thinks they are stealing the video when they take the server. Works very good.

I also power "everything" on a APC from hell to ensure that it all stays up when the power is out. Make sure you power the USB, if you do it, from the camera power supply. I ordered a 3.5 USB 2.0 AMS DS-2316B2Bk from newegg for $40. Nice enclosure, easy to set-up, and it is powered at 12vdc via a 2.1mm plug so it will connect up to the camera power supply. The enclosure is a 3 amp so make sure you change out the fuse for that one channel. And yes, you can double it up with a camera if you have to. Just pick one that is lower on mamps...

I don't run virus but I scan every month. I hate anti-virus programs. A good firewall will keep things nice.

use XP tools/tweak to take care of the autoboot, ect.

cable management; black tape the connectors by the server to reduce ground loop issues.........it works! I wish they had a nice slidable boot.....

remove messenger

use metaedit to fine tune.

call Thomas for more tips as there are many features that will keep you happy.

I have more if you want it...................

I cant speak for VI, but i run other DVRs at 720x480 recording and display with 8 cameras, with a 2.93 celleron, 512MB DDR, and have no issues, obviously the GUI becomes faster with more RAM and a Faster CPU, but if your main goal is recording and remote viewing, then its all good. I actually had I-view with 4 cameras in 720x480, 120fps, running on a 1.5Ghz celleron for quite a few months with no problems (had to use some of the PCs hardware for some other PC upgrades so its just sitting now)

VST: I take it that 3 months is in low res and motion, and only 4 cameras?

16 Camera's, motion, 4 at 640x240, 12 at 320x240, cpu runs at 35 - 40 % on the low end and gets as high as 70%. Residential install so the mtion is not extreme. In comparison, I have a resturant running 15 camera's, 2 at 640x240, 13 at 320x240, 2 at record always/audio, 13 at motion.....cpu runs at 40 - 45 on the low end and as high as 80 on a busy day.

I have no problems with the cpu's and higher resolutions BUT you will see a difference when you try to review video while the server is recording on peak times. difference? CPU has a slight delay in loading, and also when you are reviewing the video the "flow" is delayed and choppy. This is due to the overtaxing of the processor(s) in general. Again, not a problem, just a fact. That is why I suggest going "large" on the CPU because the customer does not appreciate nor want delay's in a 10k install. And I agree with them.

oh, the catch here is how you set the frame rates, bytes per frame rates, in tandum with the resolutions. Motion recording or record always is also a taxing affair but the baseline is all started at the above settings. Everything else after these are compounded by other settings.

You can own/buy a 240 or 480 fps system but in all reality most end users only need a 120 system. The ones who need a higher rate will also need a faster CPU system if they are smart.

What fps rates do you "normally" use? I use 6fps on the low end and adjust it up depending on the camera and results needed.

Basically i use a PC DVR for what they are good for, speed and remote video. They sure arent the best at local quality, so they have to be set to the highest possible quality they can go. On 5 cameras I can go through a 250GB HDD in less than a week.

I set them all to smart motion recording. so they go the fastest possible per camera, depending on the card, which is normally either a 120fps or faster.

640x240 is low res really, uness you go up to at least 640x480, but I use 720x480 unless for some reason it is someone eleses camera job and the camera quality is bad, then I just use 320x240.

Most of the customers will never learn how to play back the video, in the low end 10K jobs