TOdude

IP cameras for security at bar

I want to put 2 cameras in a bar. One will be focusing on the entrance to the bar. We want to be able to identify people who we do not want back in the establishment and being able to show pictures of these people to all the staff. Another camera would be watching for anyone who may want to break in at night. We may add more in the future. I would like an IP camera that I can connect to a computer, where I would save all the footage. The camera would need to be able to work in low and no light situations. I do not need PTZ. It does not have to be placed outside. It would be helpful to have remote access and access from a smartphone. I was hoping to keep the price of the camera to $300 or below. Any suggestions? Thank you.

I want to put 2 cameras in a bar. One will be focusing on the entrance to the bar. We want to be able to identify people who we do not want back in the establishment and being able to show pictures of these people to all the staff. Another camera would be watching for anyone who may want to break in at night. We may add more in the future. I would like an IP camera that I can connect to a computer, where I would save all the footage. The camera would need to be able to work in low and no light situations. I do not need PTZ. It does not have to be placed outside. It would be helpful to have remote access and access from a smartphone. I was hoping to keep the price of the camera to $300 or below. Any suggestions? Thank you.

I am not particularly familiar with IP cameras yet, but I can make a few helpful observations. If you buy two cameras then ensure they come with the management software (NVR) and that it's compatible with your computer PC OR Mac not all are. With analogue cameras to get an operational requirement for Identification, it is required that you need to fill the3 screen 100- 120% of the height in this case with the target you wish to capture. If you are using IP megapixel cameras that is no longer so important as your default image from the camera can monitor a wider area, and then by dragging a marquee to frame the head and shoulders of an individual, you should be able to view a close up with no discernible quality difference.

Its this zoom in or 'Drill Down' as it's properly known, that has to be capable of filling the scene with enough clear image to make a legally acceptable identification. This gives you a lot of scope to get the absolute best out of your camera. Remember that Megapixel cameras are not great at night but they are improving all the time. If you are prepared to invest the money go for about 3MP camera that way it could watch over the entire restaurant from the back and when you need to you can drill down on images of customers who's manners are not what a reasonable person might expect in public and garb an image for printing off. Do some tests but unless the restaurant is huge this will do for you. Don't be surprised if police ask for footage from time to time, usually the outside camera. Again carry out 'drill down' tests with it to decide where to center the focus.

Any money you invest now is going to pay dividends after when you need to expand to more cameras and a physical Network Video Recorder (NVR) I recommend four cameras require a a proper physical NVR but then what do I know?

Be interesting to hear how it all pans out. We aren't just here to help when you need it feedback is always a help too.

One point I failed to make is that drilling down does not have to happen in real-time, it can be done retrospectively from the recordings, this is a point that many people fail to grasp. It's to do with file information. If you do drill down in real-time, the camera is still recording the entire camera view so if something normally covered by the camera happens off screen when you are drilled down, it is still recorded. Neat Eh?

Take a look at this video it will help you understand IP cameras

It would be great if someone could suggest an IP camera priced around $300. It would be helpful if it could make out faces from 10 feet away in low light. I was thinking perhaps Acti TCM-1111. Or would it be worth it to pay another $100 for the KCM-5111? Does anyone have any experience with these cameras, or have others they can recommend?

Thanks!

It would be great if someone could suggest an IP camera priced around $300. It would be helpful if it could make out faces from 10 feet away in low light. I was thinking perhaps Acti TCM-1111. Or would it be worth it to pay another $100 for the KCM-5111? Does anyone have any experience with these cameras, or have others they can recommend?

Thanks!

From 10 feet ANY Megapixel camera wouldn't even break into a sweat to give a great ID shot.

If yoou read my post all you'd need to do is drill Down on the area of the picture to get a close up.

Of course if the face is covered up there isn't a camera on the planet that could get the shot you want.

(I just know I'm gonna regret sayin' that! )

We really like the Sharx SCNC2700 indoor cameras and they're under $300.

Here is a sample of the image quality as our office cleaners arrived tonight in complete darkness and turned on/off the lights: http://www.camiolog.com/c/zzqpe9

They're reliable in part because they have the horsepower to encode 3 video streams concurrently while maintaining good motion sensitivity.