biz123

Best Way to Make a Smartphone Compatible Video Door Intercom

What's the best way, you think, to make a video door intercom which lets you talk with and see visitors, from your smartphone?

My original plan was to make a customer door unit which included a camera, intercom, and button.

However, I could not figure out how to connect such a device to Android and iOS devices. A custom device with no screen cannot have an Android or iOS app because it would break their Compatibility Definition Document. Connecting the custom device to the internet is an option, though I can't figure out a way to make it not be expensive.

The best method I could come up with is to use existing technology. Simply place an iOS or Android device, outside, in a theft-resistent and weatherproof enclosure.

What do you think?

I'm thinking you can mount a small board camera behind a glass plate, run that camera to a dvr with triggers and use

your iphone app to enable those triggers to power a door lock to let the people in. You can also find a camera with

two way audio so you can talk back and forth, but just not sure how to get the doorbell to ring your phone. It's going to

be a delayed reaction, but maybe wire in a button to the alarm input of the dvr and have it send you an email?