dbotas

Specs for inexpensive 2 wifi outdoor vid cam / DVR system?

I am a computer tech guy who knows nothing about video camera security systems but want to purchase what is necessary and set a two camera system up at my home and hopefully not spend too much doing so. (See specs at the bottom of my post)

I was wondering if I could just buy the cameras and whatever is necessary and use one of my Windows computer systems and hard drive that runs at home 24/7 in order to save on the DVR and video monitor expense.

I haven't been able to find any good reviews or sources of information on the web because of all the self promo stuff which clogs up google search re: security systems.

Can anyone suggest what brands and models of hardware I should shop for and give me an idea of what the overall cost be might be for such a 2 camera system?

Specs of my situation:

I have a quality dual band wifi router at my home along with an available 24/7 WIndows XP Pro SP3 computer system.

I need two wifi night vision cameras:

** One with infrared and motion detection at 50 ft and ~ 25 > 45 degrees of field that can send a wifi signal 60 ft

** One with infrared and motion detection at 30 ft and ~ 45 degrees of field that can send a wifi signal 30ft (this camera I would prefer to be a covert camera)

I don't need sound or color

I have outside power outlets 3 ft from each camera location.

I have professional computer tech skills and am very handy with tools but have no budget for a security company installed system.

Thanks in advance.

d.

you might want to try etronicmarket.co.uk. website is almost none excistence but they have a lot of cameras in their showroom at really low prices. They have a showroom in Manchester. I go there to buy my equiptment. They have made to order cameras, so you might want to try them. You might want to ask them.

Good luck

MADE to order ???

You don't say how you're going to use the cameras or what they are needed for. Are you trying to cover a doorway or entrance? Do you need to have a sharp image in all light conditions? I am a relative amateur but I found out the quality of the camera makes a big difference in your ability to use the image for identification purposes. You should be able to get a good image on your PC hard drive with commonly available software but don't skimp on the cameras.

Unfortunately I am in the US so can't check UK stores.

I would be using the 2 cameras to ID vandals at 20 - 50 ft at night with minimum ambient light so low light / infrared capability and sharp image are important although color and sound are not.

That said I don't have the budget for commercial grade equipment. I am hoping to do it myself for as little money as possible.

In that regard, should I be looking at wifi IP cameras or wifi analog (CCTV?) models?

If your answer is wifi IP cameras, does that mean I only need the cameras, a wifi router, a computer and camera monitoring software?

I am a little confused about the requisite hardware re: IP vs. analog systems...

Thnx in advance...

d