Jax

Connecting everything together

Hello,

I've been searching on the internet, a way to connect 4 Samsung SNP-3120 (+dome) camera's to 1 monitor.

That wasn't a big problem, but I also want to controll them easely, with a joystick.

What I found out so far on a very detailed .pdf is that you can connect a joystick to monitoring software where you can controll the camera's.

Unfortunately, I cannot find alot of details about the software. I don't know if this will work with a Synology VS80 (http://www.synology.com/products/vs80.php). We also bought this a while ago, but never did anything with it.

So to sum things up. Is it possible to use the Synology VS80 as a monitoring computer? Installing the software on it.

Is anybody familiar with this software? Does it let your view 1 camera or all 4? As far as I am understanding all these files, the camera's should work with the SPC-2000 joystick.

This seemed easier. Since they don't have a dutch helpdesk with security camera's. Calling outsite your borders is more expensive...

But... I'll just call them now.

you'd have to check the supported cameras list for your synology to know if the camera will work with it. however, from looking through the documentation, it appears the vs80 is not designed to view cameras directly; it looks like it's intended only as a remote-access device for another diskstation recorder. so in order to view the cameras with it, you'll need a diskstation to record them first.

the snp-3120 *is* on the diskstation supported list, and it should support the ptz controls as well.

and btw, calling samsung probably wouldn't help - i doubt they could tell you a thing about the synology integration.

Thank you for the information. We won't be using the camera's as recording security camera's.

The camera's will be used to controlling other machines at a distance. It's a big company and some machines get errors regularly. Than we have to walk 5-10 minutes again before we reach the machine. Finally there it's working again. We just want to see whats going on in the office. If something gets stuck again, just stop machine, rewind machine, and start it again. This way we save alot of time.

Where can I see the hardware requirments the software needs? So we can build a PC for it.

if all you want to do is view the cameras, you need barely any hardware. samsung probably has a basic vms program that will do it... or just view them via web browser. unfortunately, as i say, it doesn't appear the vs80 is designed to view the cameras directly.