alinux

Weird things happen with Hikvision port forwarding

Hi

I have two locations each with the same brand of hikvision dvr, I got myself two TP-Link routers and installed dd-wrt and an opevpn client and I have a server with a public IP and an openvpn server. So now each path for the dvrs looks as follows

Client PC -> Server With Public IP - Port 10014 -- VPN Link to TP-Link router --> Port forward to DVR:8000

I have the exact same setup for both dvrs apart from the NAT ports, I can telnet into both ports to check if those are open.

Problem is as follows

For one dvr

It works great, PC app IVMS and Iphone app work and all is great

For second dvr

It works on my PC but not on any other PC !!

On the iphone I just get a black screen nothing else, same on ipad, however I can access the config and tweak it, which essentially would mean that I actually do have correct port forwarding, and since it does work on my PC it does also prove that correct port forwading was setup

To add insult to injury, for dvr one it was working on my android, but since I got upgraded to Andriod 4.2.0 it only flashes the camera image and then shows a black screen. It was working perfectly before that.

All in all, I do suspect that the apps are playing crazy games on me, but I can not prove that. Anyone faced a similar issue before ? Any alternative apps you guys have tried and WORKED ? for Hikvision apart from IVMS ? For PC/Iphone/Android ?

Regards

Hikvision port forwarding is as easy as it can get; one port for web (default 80) and one port for data (default 8000). Web port only needs to be forwarded if you are going to access the web interface (with Internet Explorer only). Forward both ports both in TCP and UDP (just to be sure, I am not 100% sure it is necessary, but I have done it this way since day one). I also always change port 80 to something else that is not the default web port.

Now, if you are goint to access only from clients (iVMS4000 or 4200 on Windows, iVMS4200 on Mac, iVMS4500 on Android or iOS, etc) you really only would need one port forwarded.

If you are installing dd-wrt on tp-link routers, you must know what you have in your hands. But, I would tell you to test the DVRs without all that VPN in the middle, just with a normal internet connection, with a normal router, with 80+8000 forwarded to the DVR IP. And the fact that it would work only in your PC, and not on any other PC, makes no sense at all (in case your computer is inside the network, the VPN, or something like that)

Can't help with Android 4.2.0, since I use myself 4.0.3 and I have not tried anything newer.

Also, check the firmware versions on your DVR to see if they are the same.

Hi I already did contact him vision support and they did ask to upgrade firmware. As for test without vpn that certainly makes sense. I did try the Web port and it takes me to the login page with user pwd and port... I am confused here what port should I use in the port setting 80 or 8000 or the forwarded port. I did try port 8000 and the forwarded port and I got can not connect to server... When I tried port 80 I got something about memory buffers. As for the Android issue it is confirmed and him vision are working on it.

P.s you know about any mobile apps for Android that work on hikvision

Regards

When you log in the web page you must input user, password, and data port, which is 8000 unless you change it. The web port (80) is used only for the web interface, all the data/video is sent through the data port (8000).

And the only mobile app I have used is IVMS4500, the one from Hikvision, which works great for me. I do not know if there are any compatible apps from third parties.