bounsoul

I ran one RG6 and one CAT 6 cable, can i connect a camera?

I recently did my house over, and had a lot of RG6 and CAT 6 cable left over, so I ran one of each to a few different spots in my house in hopes of getting a few security cameras in the future. Had I have known, I would have used that all-in-one cable, shame on me but here i am now. I was going to buy a Defender Sentinel 21027 4 camera system but I don't know the following two things and was looking for help: 1) can I run power and video through my RG6 and CAT 6 cables? I was thinking video through the RG6 and power through the CAT 6? and 2) if I can, what kind of connectors do I need to buy in order to get them to work?

Any insight would be highly appreciated as I am completely new to the camera world. My main use for these cameras will be peace of mind for my wife and also to catch the dog owners who haven't been cleaning up outside my house.

Not an issue. You can either get BNC connectors to fit the RG6 directly or use F fittings for the RG6 and install F to BNC adapters. Dependent upon length you can use the CAT6 for the DC to the camera's. Parallel up the wires necessary to supply the DC to the camera, with a maximum of a 10% loss in voltage. They make "pigtail" adapters that you can connect to the CAT6 wires, that have connectors on the other end to match the camera's and camera power supply. Male at the camera end and female at the power supply end.

Dennis

Smart thinking running the wires. You can actually run video on either cable, power on the Cat6. I'd recommend piecing your system together vs buying a kit, the kits usually have very crappy cameras. Dahua makes great DVRs and very nice cameras. CNB also makes some very nice cameras.

To use the cat6 only, would require the use of a cat5/cat6 adapter. It converts from 2 screws to BNC. I've had better results using RG59 or RG6 though for video, as I've had some interferrence problems at times using cat5/cat6. Those adapters are relatively cheap too, so you wouldn't be out much trying them.

Dennis