nuttcase21

need a camera to watch a bar register

ceiling height is 9'

register sits 40" off the ground

looking for a dome camera with audio record function

light level is low, but not pitch black. roughly about 200 lux/sq. m.

i'm looking at these camera models:

dahua hdb3200

dahua hdbw3200

dahua hdb3200c

dahua hd2100

dahua hdb3110

which one would work the best out of these, or can you recommend another cheap camera? 24/7 recording use.

thanx guys.

you realize none of these will work on a standard dvr? the first two are hd-sdi, the other three are ip.

you should also check your local laws on audio recording - it's *illegal* in many jurisdictions.

i knew i screwed something in that post up, never thought to check the connections of the first two. yes i know they're ip cameras. yes i know about the legality of the camera system, the business already has camera signs in place. just want to know opinions on thge cameras recording in that environment with concerns about detail and quality with the light levels. thanx.

yes i know about the legality of the camera system, the business already has camera signs in place.

not of cameras... of audio recording. most areas, it's a different law entirely. some places, video recording is legal with no signs required, while audio recording is illegal without a federal warrant. audio recording laws are probably more varied and strict than video recording laws. so before you worry about the capability, make sure it's legal first.

of the ip models, the ipc-hdb3110 is the only one i'd expect to fit the bill. my experience with the hd2100 is that it's not great in low light; the hdb-3200c has even poorer low-light specs. the 3110 is the only one of the three that's tdn with a proper day/night mode that greatly improves your low-light sensitivity.

I've used anything and everything from the "cheap-o's" to some of the better one's with the apx. the same distances that you're talking about. They all worked well in determining both facial recognition and specific currencies being conducted at the counter and drawer. Of course with the cheap one's you generally only have a choice of 3.6 and 6 lens'. Using the 6 is the better of the two. We did get better video of the currency details by dropping the camera's to about 7' off the floor. May not work for everybody and all cases, but the above worked ok for us. If you have plenty of money, opt for a more expensive camera and lens difference for more of a "zoom" and resulting detail.

yes i know about the legality of the camera system, the business already has camera signs in place.

not of cameras... of audio recording. most areas, it's a different law entirely. some places, video recording is legal with no signs required, while audio recording is illegal without a federal warrant. audio recording laws are probably more varied and strict than video recording laws. so before you worry about the capability, make sure it's legal first.

of the ip models, the ipc-hdb3110 is the only one i'd expect to fit the bill. my experience with the hd2100 is that it's not great in low light; the hdb-3200c has even poorer low-light specs. the 3110 is the only one of the three that's tdn with a proper day/night mode that greatly improves your low-light sensitivity.

never thought about the audio, thanks for the advice. both you guys have shed some more light on the subject for me and i appreciate it greatly. now some more thinking

I've used anything and everything from the "cheap-o's" to some of the better one's with the apx. the same distances that you're talking about. They all worked well in determining both facial recognition and specific currencies being conducted at the counter and drawer. Of course with the cheap one's you generally only have a choice of 3.6 and 6 lens'. Using the 6 is the better of the two. We did get better video of the currency details by dropping the camera's to about 7' off the floor. May not work for everybody and all cases, but the above worked ok for us. If you have plenty of money, opt for a more expensive camera and lens difference for more of a "zoom" and resulting detail.

the thing in op's case, is that he's in a bar, and so needs something that will handle low light well. i've never looked specifically at how ir works (or doesn't) with currency... i suppose it would depend a bit on what country you're in and what currency is used.

If memory serves me right, the last one's that I installed were $85,00 600(LOR) Luxor's from "closeoutcctv". The denomination amount was readily visible at that short of distance (about 4') and that's what they were after. They weighed the "money to quality of video" and were happy with what they settled for. One of the camera's that I had them try was a more expensive vari-focal which gave a closer view, but they settled for the Luxor.

Dennis