Sign in to follow this  
JNAPS

Power Supply?

I have 4 cameras around my house and each one has it's own power supply. They all plug in behind the monitor and DVR so they're all close together. Anyways, two of the power supplies burnt out and I need to replace them. I want to get one power supply w/splitter that can power all 4 cameras instead of having the 4 PS's.. So, my question is, what power supply do I need? I see them on ebay for $15.00 and under, but not sure of what I need power wise.

The single power supplies I have now say they're:

Input: 100-240V~ 50/60Hz

Output: 12V - 1A

What should the power supply that will feed 4 cameras be?

Thanks!!

that will depend on the cameras and their actual power requirements, but even basic ir cameras tend to max out around 500ma, meaning a 2a supply should be sufficient. i'd look at a 3a or better just to be safe.

The cameras don't say anything on them other than Sony XR Pro.. There's nothing on them that says how much power. I got them on ebay like 5 + years ago..

Sorry for the dumb question, but I know nothing about this stuff..

Would this one work out for me?

4 PORT POWER SUPPLY BOX AUTO-RESED

Input AC 110-240V

Output: 12V DC 6A Terminal Connection

Max Draw: 6A

Support up to 4 Cameras

http://www.ebay.com/itm/320585130280?_trksid=p5197.c0.m619

Ideally the power supply should be regulated. This means that the output voltage will not vary over the range of current it is designed for. A 12 V unregulated supply may have an output voltage as high as 18v when little or no current is drawn & not output 12V until the nominal load is applied. A regulated power supply will be labeled as such

the one he linked is a switching-mode supply; the design's output is inherently regulated.

Thanks - I didn't look at his link but gave some general info on power supplies for his education.

when im installing cctv in premises i always try and go for boxed good quality power supplies and try and install psu local to the cameras ie corners and midddles of buildings/lofts so the power run in lv is limited on length.