Hello guys!

I have a project that i'm working on, and i think some experts advice would be great.

I work for the security department office on my city, and I'm installing a Axis Q6032-E inside a car for long range undercover monitoring.

Currently, i'm using a computer inside the car running a Digifort server to record the images and control the camera.

My wish is to use a second car to control the camera with a certain distance, and keeping the first only for holding the camera and the recording server.

Can you guys suggest anything for transmitting the images from the first car to the second?

I was thinking about 3G, but, i really don't know how i would have to configure the network to make it acessible remotely.

Any help would be greatly apreciated.

Thanks a lot!

Hello guys!

I have a project that i'm working on, and i think some experts advice would be great.

I work for the security department office on my city, and I'm installing a Axis Q6032-E inside a car for long range undercover monitoring.

Currently, i'm using a computer inside the car running a Digifort server to record the images and control the camera.

My wish is to use a second car to control the camera with a certain distance, and keeping the first only for holding the camera and the recording server.

Can you guys suggest anything for transmitting the images from the first car to the second?

I was thinking about 3G, but, i really don't know how i would have to configure the network to make it acessible remotely.

Any help would be greatly apreciated.

Thanks a lot!

How long distance ?

Can you use WIFI ?

Philip

Vidocanada@gmail.com

3G may be too slow, and 4G with a major carrier has become a pain because they don't expose the WAN address that accessible from the internet. I called Verizon and they wanted $400 one time fee to setup a fixed IP address, so it's possible, just someting to consider. It should work fine as you are only doing D1 resolution. You can also limit the frame rate on a alternate stream and use only h.264 compression to minimize your data usage. You'll need to get a broadband router. We use a cradlepoint and the 4G USB stick plops in there and you have a router.

The distance is something that is flexible, the farther the better. Most likely there will be little amount of objects between the cars.

They will be stopped, one to be parked in front or somewhere close to the target, and the second one around the corner or down the street.

I tough of 3g only for controlling, with a really small quality and refresh rate. And recording would be done locally.

I've tried Wifi, but i think the car structure created a lot of interference, thus reducing it's range. I have to admit tough, i haven't used special equipment, only a home router (****ty dlink).

Anyone tested any setup similar to this?

Anyone have any recommendation of routers or higher range technology?

This'll be a small upgrade that's not really mobile-worthy or unidirectional (at least out of the box), but a quick and dirty upgrade for your DLink is an Asus RT-N66U. I've had a bunch of DLink and Linksys routers from single antenna to the better triple antenna models and this thing has very noticeably better range and speed than anything else I've tried. And, depending on your area, you can adjust the output power on the wifi to the max allowable in your location. There are no notes saying how high is the max in different areas, of course (the docs say it'll self-limit depending on the area), but even on the stock setting it's better than anything else I've used. It might help until you get something else set up anyway.