jrc

Is this a ground loop problem?

I recently installed 4 outdoor 1080p HD cameras at my house. The cameras switch to IR mode at night and have IR LEDs to provide illumination. I have a problem with stationary horizontal bars in the video from one camera that only occur at night. To check whether the problem is with the camera, I switched this camera out for one of the others that had been working fine. The problem at night continued. I tried re-routing the cable in case there was some interference on the line and the problem continued. After some online research I see that the problem of horizontal bars can be caused by a ground loop, however I don't see how that could be possible in my installation. There is one power transformer for the cameras that is plugged into the same outlet as the DVR. This transformer has 4 outlets, one for each camera. The cables that run to the cameras are siamese, with the RG59 cable for the signal bound to the power cable. In this case, how could the ground level voltage at one of the cameras be different from the ground at the DVR? Does this sound like a ground loop problem or something else? Why would it appear only at night? Any suggestions?

Here is a photo of the problem: https://www.dropbox.com/s/6haw81czt8y626g/cameraProblem.jpg?m

Thanks for any advice.

Have you tried switching around the power connectors on that multi power adapter to see if it's one specific power barrel that's shot? Tried a new 4-way power supply? Tried a single power adapter just for that line? Why didn't you use cat5 with POE for the cameras?

>Have you tried switching around the power connectors on that multi power adapter to see if it's one specific power barrel that's shot?

Yes, I think I did do that, but I'll switch the power connections around again tonight just to be sure.

>Tried a new 4-way power supply? Tried a single power adapter just for that line?

No, I only have tried the one power supply. I might have some others lying around that would work, I'll have to check.

>Why didn't you use cat5 with POE for the cameras?

100' RG59/power cables came with the cameras, so that's what I used.

For the record, the camera is mounted to a wood soffit under the eaves. The camera itself is not in contact with any metal on the house.

Thanks for your thoughts.

I never liked the multiple power adapters, personally. Confirm what type of adapter the cameras need and consider separate adapters for each camera. At the least, you'll ensure that if your adapter goes down ALL your cameras won't go black, and at most, you may very well clear the problem. And since it's only four cameras, no biggy having four adapters.

To save time and headaches just buy a ground loop isolator. You can get one from amazon. I got one from DSC technology. It was 15.00. had I got one in the beginning it would have saved me two weeks of trouble shooting.

611033027_Bncgroundloopisolator.jpg.7f997364f2a7d92332b4fabce09f2c43.jpg

Thanks, I am waiting for my ground loop isolator to arrive, as I decided it would be worth a try.

Per the suggestion of the eariler poster, I did try switching the power and that did not make a difference.

I recently installed 4 outdoor 1080p HD cameras at my house

ground loop .....cat5 ..... with HD ???

more like poor coax or run is to long.. which cameras do you have ?

He has HD-SDI cameras

He has HD-SDI cameras

Alex, HD-SDI - it's also digital signal (800 mV (±10%) ), and analog ground loops will not cause this effect.

This can not be ground loop problem directly. I thing, problem in power supply.

Also, jrc, are you shure, tat you have 1080p HD cameras? It looks, like you have "tradditional" cameras....

Can you write the cameras model?

•1080p (1920 x 1080) 2 Megapixel CMOS Image Sensor

•Megapixel 4mm lens for superior detail and wide angle viewing (79° FOV)

•Automatic Infrared Filter ensures true & accurate color in all lighting conditions

•Smart IR technology with auto light compensation prevents washout effect

•Lorex ClearNight imaging ensures clear night vision and improves recording efficiency using Digital Noise Reduction technology

•Split glass design minimizes IR reflection

•Anti-glare feature ensures clear images under strong lighting conditions

•Night Vision up to 80ft away in total darkness and up to 140ft away in typical night time ambient lighting 1

•Dual BNC (HD-SDI & Composite) video outputs for simultaneous HD and standard resolution video streaming

•Vandal-resistant design: Cable pass-through wall-mount bracket protects connection cables 2

•100 FT RG59 high-grade Siamese (video & power) coaxial cable for flexible installation 3

Alex, HD-SDI - it's also digital signal (800 mV (±10%) ), and analog ground loops will not cause this effect.

This can not be ground loop problem directly. I thing, problem in power supply.

Also, jrc, are you shure, tat you have 1080p HD cameras? It looks, like you have "tradditional" cameras....

Can you write the cameras model?

I know that

so far sold about 10 HD-SDI system

Saras his camera has dual output....

what if He is using analog instead HD-SDI ?