Sign in to follow this  
toomuchrum

Grainy/noisey video signals

I bought a Zmodo 8CH DVR off 'the Bay' (NEW). Added a 500GB HD, and it's working great...KMeye (android) and all. I have all different cameras, 4 older CMOS ones, and 2 newer 1/4 CCD Sharps (all 'the bay'). On the 4 original CMOS cams I was using cheap dual power / video cable I got off 'the bay'. For the newer 1/4 CCD cams, I bought RG59/18-2 wire 95%.

My problem is video quality. I'm getting a 'grainy/snowy' video from even the new cams with the better wire. My max wire length is about 70FT, although I am seeing the same quality video on a 20FT run. On one cam I had to lower the Saturation to almost 0 due to color bleeding. But all the cams have this full picture noise/snow. These are not noise bands horizontally across the picture, but that whole picture is 'grainy'. I've played with contrast/brightness and it don't seem to help.

On some channels, the cheapy thin wire actually looks better than the RG59. I've even swapped cameras to those locations (CMOS/CCD) and still get the same 'grain/snow'. So it's not the cameras.

I bought a 20 amp power supply to run all cams off of 'the bay'. I've also tried 1 amp 'wall wort' supplies on certain channels. Nothing seems to help. The DVR is sitting on a shelf above my computer and next to the 20amp power supply, my cable modem, and a couple power strips. Could I get getting interference from something ????? I was sure the RG59 wire would cure the problems, but I'm still at a loss.

Maybe the 20 amp power supply needs shielding? But then again the video is the same with a 'wall wort'. Suggestions????

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

I bought a Zmodo 8CH DVR off 'the Bay' (NEW). Added a 500GB HD, and it's working great...KMeye (android) and all. I have all different cameras, 4 older CMOS ones, and 2 newer 1/4 CCD Sharps (all 'the bay'). On the 4 original CMOS cams I was using cheap dual power / video cable I got off 'the bay'. For the newer 1/4 CCD cams, I bought RG59/18-2 wire 95%.

My problem is video quality. I'm getting a 'grainy/snowy' video from even the new cams with the better wire. My max wire length is about 70FT, although I am seeing the same quality video on a 20FT run. On one cam I had to lower the Saturation to almost 0 due to color bleeding. But all the cams have this full picture noise/snow. These are not noise bands horizontally across the picture, but that whole picture is 'grainy'. I've played with contrast/brightness and it don't seem to help.

On some channels, the cheapy thin wire actually looks better than the RG59. I've even swapped cameras to those locations (CMOS/CCD) and still get the same 'grain/snow'. So it's not the cameras.

I bought a 20 amp power supply to run all cams off of 'the bay'. I've also tried 1 amp 'wall wort' supplies on certain channels. Nothing seems to help. The DVR is sitting on a shelf above my computer and next to the 20amp power supply, my cable modem, and a couple power strips. Could I get getting interference from something ????? I was sure the RG59 wire would cure the problems, but I'm still at a loss.

Maybe the 20 amp power supply needs shielding? But then again the video is the same with a 'wall wort'. Suggestions????

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Try moving the DVR?

I'm confused. First you say it's working great then go on to describe in some detail that it is not working great at all. From your description I would have said it was a "cheap camera" problem. It sounds like the sort of result you would get by having rhe Gain set way too high.

I'm confused. First you say it's working great then go on to describe in some detail that it is not working great at all. From your description I would have said it was a "cheap camera" problem. It sounds like the sort of result you would get by having rhe Gain set way too high.

What I tried to say was that it's hooked up, all cameras are working, it's recording when motion is detected, I am able to view from the Android phone.

Video quality is the complaint. Thanks.

Thanks

This test would say to me that it IS the camera. There are 3 basic tests to do. Power , cable & cameras.

Power - 12Vdc or 24Vac ? If it is 12Vdc then try running a camera from a 12V battery at the camera end. Try to get a voltage reading at the camera and under working load not an open circuit reading (which is meaningless)

Cable - you have different quality cables of different lengths so by swapping cameras around between different cables you should be able to see any problems.

Camera - you have 4 older CMOS cameras. While CMOS has improved quite a bit recently the older ones were hopeless. The newer CCD ones are 1/4" sensor & the light gathering capability suffers accordingly.

The ultimate test is to get a short BNC/BNC cable. Connect the camera directly to the DVR & power it from a 12v battery. This will eliminate power & cable issues in one go. (leaving you with camera/DVR issues)

It still sounds like low quality cameras trying to operate beyound their capability

Ok, tonight I made up a cable using the RG-59/18 wire. I ran it to my closest camera (about 25ft from the DVR). I tried to power it with a normal wall wort and the 20A ebay power supply. Both pictures were identical and 'grainy'. I haven't tried a battery yet, but I will. However, this 25ft run is almost dead straight and does not come close to any other power or internet lines. I also hooked up to different cameras, 1 of the newer 1/4 ccd's I bought, and the other the older CMOS. I can tell the image quality of the 1/4 CCD is better, but the same full screen static is still present.

Just tonight I purchased another camera off the bay. This one is a 1/3 CCD SONY (or so it says). SHould have in 2 days and will compare even further.

Another member did suggest I move the DVR. I did this tonight also. I moved it away from my computers, tv's, routers, modems, etc. Original locations was right next to everything. Moved to location was 10ft away. There was no difference in picture quality at all, still 'slightly snowy/grainy".

The 'big deal' I have with this is that I can not set the DVR to a motion sensitivity of '2' (on a scale of 4 to 1). (1 being the most sensitive, 4 being the least). I am stuck with leaving the cameras on setting '3' due to the grainy picture (setting 2 shows motion all the time). If it wasn't for this, I could live with the picture. Just trying to save HD space.

Thanks

Ok, tonight I made up a cable using the RG-59/18 wire. I ran it to my closest camera (about 25ft from the DVR). I tried to power it with a normal wall wort and the 20A ebay power supply. Both pictures were identical and 'grainy'. I haven't tried a battery yet, but I will. However, this 25ft run is almost dead straight and does not come close to any other power or internet lines. I also hooked up to different cameras, 1 of the newer 1/4 ccd's I bought, and the other the older CMOS. I can tell the image quality of the 1/4 CCD is better, but the same full screen static is still present.

Just tonight I purchased another camera off the bay. This one is a 1/3 CCD SONY (or so it says). SHould have in 2 days and will compare even further.

Another member did suggest I move the DVR. I did this tonight also. I moved it away from my computers, tv's, routers, modems, etc. Original locations was right next to everything. Moved to location was 10ft away. There was no difference in picture quality at all, still 'slightly snowy/grainy".

The 'big deal' I have with this is that I can not set the DVR to a motion sensitivity of '2' (on a scale of 4 to 1). (1 being the most sensitive, 4 being the least). I am stuck with leaving the cameras on setting '3' due to the grainy picture (setting 2 shows motion all the time). If it wasn't for this, I could live with the picture. Just trying to save HD space

Thanks

If you say you have a good picture right at the DVR then go out from there. Connect it to a cable of some length like the one you use when it's grainy. Connect it to the same power supply with the cable still in the same room. Then move the cable around and see it the picture gets worse.

Al