antonb

IR Motion detection issues ?

Hi all,

First post and its also a question.

I am not a CCTV installer but I have installed a system at my home by myself.

For the most part the system is running great.

I have 4 x Sony CCD 1/3 cameras.

1 x DVR

Cabling is over good quality cat 5e with separate baluns for power and video signal.

I'm using 1 run of cat5e per camera with 1 pair of copper for video and 3 pairs for power (3 wires to each terminal +ve/-ve)

My power supply is 2A.

On my DVR I have the ability to adjust the sensitivity of the motion detection from 1 (low) to 4 (high).

At setting 2, my cameras pick up car's but not people (they are looking at a fairly wide area).

At setting 3, my cameras pick up people very well and so I have left this setting on.

My issue comes at night time when the cameras switch to IR, at setting 3 as soon as IR comes on, the DVR is displaying a flag which says that its constantly detecting motion, despite nothing (sizeable) actually being there. This is only happening at night time and obviously is a real PITA, for searching for triggered events.

Has anyone came across this before or can offer a solution?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

regards

A

Just a wee update, I've checked for voltage drop and do t believe that to be the issue, at the DVR end I'm getting 12v and 11.7v at the camera end. I assume this is acceptable?

Any ideas?

Thanks.

I'd be willing to bet that the cameras have noisy video at night and the dots crawling on the screen are setting off the motion detection at the DVR. Better cameras and better lighting would help if that is the case, plus maybe finding a setting in the dvr that changed motion detection sensitivity on a schedule (drop sensitivity down at night). If not, then maybe the answer is a different DVR. I've got one that's more sensitive to motion at night with tons of false events because it is set right on the bleeding edge for balance between usable in the daytime and not recording all night. Mine's got more than 1-4 adjustment though.

Thanks sincerely for your reply, I think you are correct there are dots as you call them, when I view the picture at night, so if I'm reading you correctly this is likely what is setting off the motion detection.

Excuse my ignorance but when you say a better camera, how do I know what is better than what I have, I believed I was buying good cameras, I.e. Sony effio CCD cameras with 700 TVL. Can you point me in the direction of a better camera please?

Re better lighting, should I be considering IR lamps? I really don't want to have traditional lighting always on in the evening.

Even if I could turn the sensitivity down at night I don't think the system is fit for purpose as at sensitivity 2, people are not picked up, day or night. At sensitivity 3, it's great until night time when the MD is set off constantly.

Thanks again for the reply.

Regards

Anthony.

I use a 940nm CMVision IR illuminator with a CNB VCM-24VF in the lowest light location at my home. The CNB is a good relatively cheap vandal dome without built-IR that still sees IR. Separating the IR from the camera does a really good job of reducing false positives at night from spiders, spiderwebs, fog, moths, etc. The 940nm illuminator lights things up nicely while remaining invisible under my deck. No red glow. $80 for the IR unit, $135 for the camera. You might want to try the camera without buying the illuminator first. It's a pretty good all-around colour camera that's really quite good in low light. It isn't a match for my KT&C B&W bullet when it's REALLY dim out, but if you can add more white light or an IR illuminator then that levels the playing field, plus the CNB is colour in the daytime.

also here are the specs for my cameras:

image Sensor: 1/3" SONY Dome Anti-Vandal METAL CCD Camera

Resolution: 700 TVL

Lens: 3.6mm

Angle: 80 Degrees

OSD: On screen display available

Min Illumination: 0 Lux (IR ON)

Ir Distance: upto 15 Metres

IR Light: 24pcs/850nm

S/N Ratio: =52dB(AGC Off)

Video Output: 1.0Vp-p 75O

Operation Temperature: -20°C - +50°C

White Balance: Auto

Power Supply: DC12V±10% 350 mA

Housing: IP65

Dimension: Base Dia 95mm x 80mm

bought from ebay as part of this package - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271100226051?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649