sonnytrue20

Cannot get sound to record

I have a Swann DVR-2600 and 4 PRO-580 cameras. I want to be able to record sound on channel 1 from camera 1 area. I purchased a Rode NTG-2 microphone and also an isk SPM002 48V phantom power supply on the recommendation of RODE, and also a small Kinter 100W amplifier as I thought my own might be a problem.

I am unable to get sound to record on the Hard drive and play back, or even to play directly through the TV speakers. I have set the volume level high on the Hard drive and enabled sound recording.

This is some of what I have tried:

1. Rode Mic with internal 1.5V battery to TV via 3 PIN XLR TO 3 PIN XLR to RCA convertor to TV - ALL CONNECTIONS TESTED O.K. - Nothing.

2. As for 1 but using the Phantom power instead of the 1.5V - no other changes - Nothing.

3. Back to internal battery, and as in 1 but from RCA connection to 3.5 m.m. plug into amplifier and speakers - perfect!

4. Change internal battery to phantom power supply, and as before - loud hissing and poor sound from speakers.

5. As before but with 1.5v and then phantom power to Swann Hard drive - Nothing.

6. Have tried using the Kinter amplifier with and without the pre-amp - Nothing.

Connections 1 and 3 are joined in the XLR to RCA adaptor.

Rode have tested the Mic and say it is O.K., and have replaced it.

Swann want to know if the mic works connected directly to the TV, which it doesn't. Rode are no longer replying to my requests for help! Is there anyone out there with a depth of knowledge that could suggest an answer please?

Your DVR almost certainly has an unbalanced line level input.

The phantom power adapter probably has a mic level output, so will not work with your DVR (or TV line level input). I can't find the tech specs to check. Depending on its output circuitry it may object to being run into an unbalanced input by linking XLR 1 and 2 and it may be that XLR 3 should be left floating?

You probably need a pre-amp to go from balanced mic to unbalanced line.

This says it can use an unbalanced output, and it supplies phantom power.

Thanks very much for your suggestions guys.

I have now tried an old Electret condenser microphone with internal 1.5v battery connected to the 100w Kinter amplifier, and then to the T.V.'s speakers, and it works fine.

But connect it to the Swann hard drive and it won't record at all.

I have neighbours from hell who like to party continually and play a sound system at high levels, do drugs and run an advertising truck business from their residential rented property. The landlord and Police are reluctant to get involved even with the bullying and intimidation of me for complaining. However I have managed to reduce their noise somewhat, even by myself - the neighbours are too scared to help.

I want the roadside microphone to record noise from their party house.

Now the Swann Hard drive won't record even vision, so have returned it for repair to them. Maybe the problem is with the Hard drive?

Use a cctv microphone. Simple as that. They work and pick up a ton of sound. Put by an open window, turn up the gain in the dvr, and you'll have what you need. Just make sure you're recording to a channel that has the camera catching the the action as well. Otherwise the audio recording could be of anyone, anywhere- useless for proof.

You might do just as well with a video camera.