mystore365

what's the differences between IP camera and CCTV camera?

what's the differences between IP camera and CCTV camera? where they can be used?

IP cameras ---- They work within your LAN network. It can wired or wireless. They have things like IP address and they usually login using computer by typing in their IP address directly

Analogue CCTV system ---- They work on their own system. Every cable from the CCTV camera would have to go to DVR and from the DVR, then you can add into your LAN.

There are both pros and cons using these system. Depending on your needs and requirements.

IP PROs:

Higher resolution. They can achieve up to 1980 x 1080 or even higher.

They make adding of cameras easy. If you are running a building with many cameras. You will appreciate that

Higher security. If you go on wireless.. they have encryption like WPA/WPA2 which make it a bit harder to hack.

IP CONs:

Higher cost. Each IP cameras will cost higher than standard CCTV cameras.

High bandwidth. You need a fast LAN if you are installing many due to their streaming. You need to have a good reliable IP cameras.

Generally I feel you need above average IT knowledge to know what is going on and troubleshoot in case you having problem.

CCTV PROs:

Stable and reliable. This technology has been around for years...

Cost effective. They are generally cheaper and easy to install.

Easy install. You do not need superb IT knowledge to install this. Just plug and play.

CCTV CONs:

Resolution stay max cap at 720 x 576 (D1). Anything higher will be a different system like SDI etc. But they are even more expensive than IP cameras.

Tons of cable. If you are running a 16ch or 32ch, you are like having 32 cables running back to DVRs. It is also more tedious if you need to add cameras last minutes as you need to run the cables from cameras back to DVR again.

what's the differences between IP camera and CCTV camera? where they can be used?

CCTV CONs:

Resolution stay max cap at 720 x 576 (D1). Anything higher will be a different system like SDI etc. But they are even more expensive than IP cameras.

Tons of cable. If you are running a 16ch or 32ch, you are like having 32 cables running back to DVRs. It is also more tedious if you need to add cameras last minutes as you need to run the cables from cameras back to DVR again.

I have a Q-See QT518 and have set the Video Output to VGA 1280X1024 without really knowing why. Just because I figured higher is better I guess. Does this mean my DVR is SDI? (not really knowing what that means). Is there a place where I can learn as much as I can without having to read endlessly on forums like this one?

Thanks for any guidance.

Al.

CCTV CONs:

I have a Q-See QT518 and have set the Video Output to VGA 1280X1024 without really knowing why. Just because I figured higher is better I guess. Does this mean my DVR is SDI? (not really knowing what that means). Is there a place where I can learn as much as I can without having to read endlessly on forums like this one?

Thanks for any guidance.

Al.

Thanks for your answer.

About your question,I'm not a technicist yet, but maybe the reason is that you set the 1280*1024, the model of Q-See QT518 only supports 704×480.

Or you can send your seller an email to ask why.

That DVR records in D1 from the cameras but setting the output from the DVR to the monitor as high as it'll go will give you higher resolution and better clarity when viewing multiple cameras on one screen. As well, there might be some benefit for retaining a normal aspect ratio on displayed video by trying different display resolutions and/or aspect ratios. You don't want visiting supermodels to look fat when you play them back.

That DVR records in D1 from the cameras but setting the output from the DVR to the monitor as high as it'll go will give you higher resolution and better clarity when viewing multiple cameras on one screen. As well, there might be some benefit for retaining a normal aspect ratio on displayed video by trying different display resolutions and/or aspect ratios. You don't want visiting supermodels to look fat when you play them back.

Good point and thanks for the heads up.