Sign in to follow this  
johnd23

Townhome - Front door ptz placement

Can i get some pro opinions on where i should mount my front door ptz cam? I live in a townhome, very similar to the attached pic. It is an end unit. My original thought was to replace the front light with the cam being as i never use the light, but im now thinking otherwise. I figured that it may pass as a outside light at a quick glance. I am going to need to get the OK from the home owners association and they generally dont like anything being attached to the outside of the place. I may be able to do so if they approve it though. My other option would be to mount the cam on a pole in the left corner. I dont live in a bad area, i just want to be able to keep an eye on packages when ups/fedex leaves them on my front porch, see who is at my door, and also be able to view my car. My soffit is way too high that i would only see tops of peoples heads at my door.

What do you guys think??

front.jpg.022b874dac4aa27d0d08ae4568dcb9da.jpg

Can i get some pro opinions on where i should mount my front door ptz cam? I live in a townhome, very similar to the attached pic. It is an end unit. My original thought was to replace the front light with the cam being as i never use the light, but im now thinking otherwise. I figured that it may pass as a outside light at a quick glance. I am going to need to get the OK from the home owners association and they generally dont like anything being attached to the outside of the place. I may be able to do so if they approve it though. My other option would be to mount the cam on a pole in the left corner. I dont live in a bad area, i just want to be able to keep an eye on packages when ups/fedex leaves them on my front porch, see who is at my door, and also be able to view my car. My soffit is way too high that i would only see tops of peoples heads at my door.

What do you guys think??

Hi

Where are you located ?

You can put the PTZ camera on the corner of left wall .

If possible give me your Email address , I will send more photo to you by email

Philip

Vidocanada@gmail.com

If you want a view that includes both faces and packages on the porch, the light will probably be too close. I have a front door cam that's about 8 feet to the side, and it gives a good view. The equivalent in your pic would be to mount it at the top of the bay window to the right, right at the intersection of the window, bay roof, and wall. This would help keep it inconspicuous as well.

The only downside is the light, which may cause some glare, but my porch light is in the same spot, and doesn't cause a problem.

I'd recommend using a ladder to set up the cam in different spots and see how the view looks, both day and night. I use a towel, books, and bungee cords on the ladder to adjust the camera as I need it and keep it from falling off.

Once you've tried it in a few spots, the solution may be obvious.

I wouldn't recommend a ptz in that spot. Get a white ball dome with an appropriate lens- maybe 3.6 or 4mm. And yes, try different placements but make sure you try it at night too so you're sure no exterior light ruins the shot. And if the camera is to include IR, I would highly recommend smart IR. It'll adjust the intensity so as not to wash out the subject. Good luck.

Good point on the IR. Mine is far enough away that the IR doesn't wash it out, but up close, it would be a problem.