Sign in to follow this  
lee2013

PC HD as replacement ???

HI,Can i replace the hard drive in my cctv system with one from an old laptop or are they a special type.

THANKS for any help Lee

HI,Can i replace the hard drive in my cctv system with one from an old laptop or are they a special type.

THANKS for any help Lee

You "could" but would need an adaptor bracket for the size difference but is it the right drive intended for maximum access? You probably want a larger capacity like 2 Gig or at least 1 Gig.

http://www.cctvcamerapros.com/CCTV-Accessory-s/33.htm

Why upgrade the Hard Drive in your DVR?

There are several variables which play into requiring larger storage capacity in one’s DVR:

1. The number of cameras you are using will affect the appropriate DVR or NVR hard drive size.

2. The resolution of these cameras (low, medium or megapixel), the higher the camera resolution, the better the video quality, and this will increase the storage requirements.

3. The Frames per Second rate you select for each camera (7.5, 15, 20 or 30 fps), for the higher the frame rate the more storage is needed.

4. The length of time you wish for the DVR to record (one, two, three weeks or more). Once you have assessed the number of cameras, the resolution and frame rate, determined how much time you can record before the oldest day is deleted, you will be able to decide which size hard drive is best for your video surveillance needs.

HI,Thanks for reply long story but had to send last one back(used) so was looking at new with 2x cameras on

motion detect record only would 500gb be ok to use from old laptop? THANKS Lee

HI,Thanks for reply long story but had to send last one back(used) so was looking at new with 2x cameras on

motion detect record only would 500gb be ok to use from old laptop? THANKS Lee

it can't hurt to try it and see if it performs well enough for your needs since you already have it. It depends on how often the cameras are recording and the sensitivity of the motion detection. There are many variables such as video settings that can eat up drive space.

So I would say go for it.