Deattie

How to add audio to a small outdoor ip camera without audio

Hello

I wish to purchase a small HD (>=720p) outdoor IP camera with low light capabilities for my residential property. The only small cameras I can find do not have audio and the only cameras with audio are so bulky they would spoil the external appearance of my modest property. There are several possible solutions, and I should appreciate comments anyone may have.

NVR solution: Transmit audio from an external microphone over Ethernet. Have the NVR combine this audio with the video from the IP camera into one recorded stream. I’m not sure if either of these is possible.

Hybrid NVR solution: Receive audio via analog, and video via IP inputs. Have the recorder combine audio and video into a single stored recording. Again, is this possible ?

PC solution: Receive ip video via PC ethernet port. Receive audio from an external analog cctv microphone via an analog cctv card connected to the pc (or from usb microphone). Have either blue iris or ispyconnect software store the combined video and audio stream.

Thoughts ?

Deattie

Many ip cameras don't have a built in microphone, but they do have audio inputs so you can add an external microphone directly to the camera.

I don't know of any Ethernet microphones that will pair with an NVR or VMS software. Doesn't mean it doesn't exist, it just isn't a common application (yet).