thenewguymd

New IP camera install in warehouse, ok to do without conduit

Hey everyone, Im bidding a huge job in a warehouse and the buildings are the big metal prefabbed units. Om to run my cat 5e and attach to metal studs with a j loop like listed below? Conduit would put the price to high for there budget?

Thanks in advance

215546_1.jpg

Simply specify that there is no warranty on the cabling for physical damage. State that you recommend conduit. Try to get them to see the long term benefits.

I cannot see the picture of the J hooks but make sure they are the flat type and are placed at appropriate distance apart. I would not worry too much about not running conduit however be sure you get a statement from the customer defining if it is a Non-plenum or plenum rated space you are running your wire through. Pleunm is usually at least twice a much but still cheaper than re running it if the wrong type of wire is used.

Are you serious? Asking in a forum if it's ok to run cat5 on a J hook cause conduit is too expensive for the customer? WTF is wrong with you? Are you like 9 years old or something?

I do not see the issue about not running conduit. If it meets code and the wire is not carrying high voltage why would you run conduit? We do a lot of commercial data installs and most of the time the cable is either in cable tray or supported by J hooks. There usually is conduit from above the ceiling to the outlet box. again the major question is if it is a plenum or non plenum space. I would probably use a metal j hook as they meet any plenum requirements.

Yeah shouldn't be a problem as long as you ensure they understand the downsides of no conduit. just write it into the contract and point it out that cable damage isn't covered by the warranty