canadave

newbie trying to set up CCTV as webcam

Hi all,

Bear with me, please...I know quite a bit about computers but not a lot about CCTV stuff

I want to set up a webcam-type of setup where I have a camera pointed out my 2nd floor window viewing the street, and broadcast live to the Internet. I'm not sure yet if I want to go for full video or just snapshots every couple of seconds or so. It doesn't have to be razor-sharp quality, but I'd like something that's a step up from even a good webcam.

Originally I wanted to just buy a webcam; but it suddenly occurred to me that the quality of the picture might be better if I could somehow connect an actual security-type of camera to my PC.

Is there any way to do this cheaply (say, for about $100)? I'm not sure what equipment I need in terms of cards in my PC and/or adapters, not to mention what types of cameras would work. Can anyone just orient me in the right direction and then give me a shove?

Thanks,

Dave

Hi Dave,

I would normally say you would need at least a 2 channel DVR card, and then a CCTV camera, they come in many types, looking out the window will for starters reduce the quality of the image, so you would want to look for a high res wide dynamic box camera.

But then ... you mentioned $100, so the budget wont match, the CCTV gear is not that cheap yet, unfortunately.

Rory

Thanks for replying, Rory. So I need a DVR card and a CCTV camera? I just had a look at a reputable website that sells security cameras (tigerdirect.ca), and they were selling some for about $65 CAN. If I bought a cheapo DVR card, would I be able to accomplish my goal (albeit perhaps a bit over budget)? Are these types of cameras decent, or are they toys? I've no idea

Here's the cameras on tigerdirect's website:

http://tinyurl.com/e42cp

Cheers,

Dave

Tiger Direct is a computer store .. i buy my PC gear from them out of Miami .. i wouldnt mess with that gear, its basically DIY stuff .. I mean it would work and some isnt that bad, but you would probably get better quality from a logitech web cam

I would look for a budget DVR card, 2 channels, then add a bullet cam if you want to keep within budget .. I cant comment on the cards on their as i dont (or wouldnt) buy them though ..though I have looked at them curiously in the past while buying PCs. Wait a bit and let some others tune in, im sure someone will PM you with some bids

Rory

Buy a IP9100....do a WEB search. It's a small 4 cam video server the size of a pack of "fags". It will work as a live WEB Server as you want.

PM me if you want it from me as I have 2 in the closet from my "testing" days. They work, and for a cost they are pretty darn cute, but not sexy.