Dixit

Looking for an 8camera system, recommendations

Ive been searching all over this stuff and mainly interested in high resolution system like a 1080p system. Initially what caught my eye was that Swann 1080p DVR system they released a few months ago but not seeing it in an 8camera setup. Then I see Swann doing IP based 1080p cameras with an NVR. I see Q-See ones as well but just confused.

This is for my house to replace the old system the previous owner took with them. So there will be 4 outside and 4 inside. Id like to get 1080p and the best framerate, not looking for ones that drop in the 5-7.5fps range.

I see the thread for the Swann one from Costco but have seen the real info on it and if that is the better deal.

I have the ability to re-run the wires (since I will technically have to, they left the old analog wires) since they are all through a full access Attic. IP would be good since I could run a single Cat5 and use PoE.

Thanks

Dixit

At this point, those of us are interested in mid-range consumer systems are waiting for the reviews on the Swann/Hikvision. The QSee/Dahua 4 and 8 channel systems have been pretty well reviewed, so the question is whether you can live with the warts.

The other option is to build/buy a PC, buy your own cams, and pick the software you want. It's more work, requires more expertise (and develops more, too), and likely more expensive, but far more flexible, both in the short and long term. For 8 1080p cams you're liable to need a fairly serious PC, like an i5-3570, but this would depend a lot on the software you choose.

One of the plusses of this is that you can start with a few cams, get some experience, and figure out where to go next, rather than getting a full system that will need to be replaced en masse if it's disappointing.

Well building out a machine is no problem, Im an expert there. I have actually this i7 2600 with 8gig running Windows 2012 server that I use now as just my home server so most of the time it is idling doing nothing. Could easily use that.

When I had businesses we had the Geovision stuff back in the day, but not sure what they do now or how good they are, I personally didn't like their interface and quality (granted it was almost 9yrs ago).

If we used my existing i7 2600 box, how much load or cpu utilization we talking about for 8 cameras running full tilt at 1080p and best frame rate? If we go that route what cameras can I do that are reasonable price wise? Ive seen a few but they all are 300-400 per camera putting me at $3200 just the cameras.

Dixit

Forgot to address your first part, yea we are all waiting to see what these two mainstream systems are capable of doing. That sample video that Chan exported seemed pretty decent. Just not sure if it can handle 8 at once. Right now that Swann is basically a 4 camera 8camera NVR. But you cant buy the other 4 cameras right now. I haven't looked into the Q-See ones, all I saw was the ones sold by Costco/Sams were only 720p version.

Dixit

Yeah, 720p on the QSee - I forgot about that.

Before I built my new i5-3570 box, I tested on an i5-2500k, and had good results. I run Blue Iris, which, at $50, is the best value in low-cost NVR software by a long shot, and is quite capable and flexible. It's got a renewable 15 day trial download that's not crippled, but puts a watermark on the video. There's a great support community over at cam-it.org.

My i5-3570 is currently running 8 cameras, 10MP total, at 10 fps with motion detect, and hits about 60% cpu on a dedicated box. 8 1080p cams would probably be around the limit, depending on the motion detect and pre-trigger settings, and running them at full frame rate would likely not be an option.

Most general surveillance users agree that anything over 10-15 fps is unnecessary, especially due to the rate it uses HD space, but this is a personal preference. The Dahua 8 channel NVR maxes out at 15 fps/channel at 1080p, I believe.

Other software is less CPU intensive, though usually costs more, and some have a per-camera license. Others would have to chime in on that. If you buy all the cams from one manufacturer, they'll generally have a free package that will handle them, but not other brands.

Decent 1080p cams are currently around $300 or so, and Dahua's 3200S is around $225, but is just now becoming available, and prices are dropping in general fairly rapidly. The 2 and 3MP Dahuas don't always play well with Blue Iris, though. Buellwinkle's reviewing the new ACTi line, which is around the Dahua prices or slightly more and from a more respected manufacturer, but there's not a lot of experience on these yet.

To keep camera costs down, you'd have to start with 720p, then upgrade later as the costs come down.

I still think the AvertX 8-channel system could be another good contender-

http://www.costco.com/CatalogSearch?storeId=10301&catalogId=10701&langId=-1&keyword=avertx

What's attractive about that product is that it has eight built-in POE, so nothing further needed for that. Plus, they actually have the cameras available separately. One member is using it here and from what I can remember he's mostly pretty pleased.

$3500 is a bit higher than the other ones. But if its that much better then I guess that's the price one will have to pay for that.

Dixit

$3500 is a bit higher than the other ones. But if its that much better then I guess that's the price one will have to pay for that.

Dixit

hi. for 3k its best buying a nvr that is not limited to FPS or res of camera

Yea that's what I was thinking, I could build a solid computer and then buy 8 decent IP cams, which are what around $250-300 a pop. Then leaves me around $1k for computer costs which is decent amount.

Although staying lower like in the 1500 range is better, $3k+ is sort of overkill in my head for an 8cam home system.

Dixit

What mid level NVR isn't limited by fps per resolution? If you want to spend 1,500 you're gonna be in 4-channel territory. For an 8-channel system you're gonna spend considerably more. Don't forget the decentralized concept as well, where the camera has a micro card in it and the camera records to it. The only thing you need is PSS to view and/or retrieve backup footage, or just use each cameras web interface. The camera itself becomes the NVR at that point. The catch with that is the cards are only 64gb max, as far as I've ever seen. Kind of small depending on your needs. For eight cameras even just recording on motion, you need to be looking at a minimum of 6tb hard drive storage, I would think. At least, if you want some archive history before it starts overwriting. And the thing about computers is the NVR software, what cameras it fully supports if you mix and match, how it handles recording, licencing if that's part of it, and the computer itself. That's seems to be why for a home user, the packaged NVR system where everything is plug & play, is more popular. Around 3k [including the extra 4 cams to fill it out] for something like the avertX, is about right. It would be an 8-channel filled out at that point, don't forget- plus you get a 2tb hard drive. Most of these type systems either come without one, or 500gb which isn't nearly enough and has to be upgraded. The only thing I would hesitate about is avertx being new and unknown. But mostly it seems to do what all of them do- bundle stuff up to make it plug & play ready. Only it's actually a true 8-channel system with at least two different camera choices of it's own, and 8 POE built in. Not bad. Considering the other offerings, for 8 channels I'd probably spring for it if I upgrade from analog. Or more likely, grab the 16 channels for 3 grand, which includes all the cameras and room to expand.

the only problem with dahua /// swann /// q-see is but nvr limits and also having to use a pc to use PSS

also. dahua is about to release a full new range ....... and guess what not compatable with last years models

so going with a true NVR does not limit you to FPS ..... that's done via camera ....... not limited to resolution that's also done via camera

3k I know what I would pick and have option to use most IP cameras unlike just a handful

3k I know what I would pick and have option to use most IP cameras unlike just a handful

Do tell what that would be. Could you bring an 8 channel in for 1,500?

also. dahua is about to release a full new range ....... and guess what not compatable with last years models

Now THAT I didn't know. Interesting! But, define about...and anything else you might know about the full new range.

Do tell what that would be. Could you bring an 8 channel in for 1,500?

aver IWH3216 Touch II and that's a 16 and its hybrid.

or at the moment there is a 32 on ebay

Another alternative would be an Aver NV6240 card in a mid-range PC. $500 for the card, $600 for a PC, and the rest on whatever cameras you can afford.

I'm running an NV6480 now, with 20MP or so recording on 16 channels, in one of my old i3-540 boxes, and there's lots of CPU room to spare as long as I don't watch all 16 channels at once. No per-cam licenses, tons of supported cameras, and it's been solid and stable.

The user interface is a little primitive and they don't update the software that often, but the capabilities are strong.

i doubt that, although we might check that out. DAHUA had always made compatible new/old products and solutions. all their equipment interconnects... why would they, after so many years of product dev&research, leave it all behind and start from scratch?

they even made their new line of IP Video Door Phones compatible with their line of CCTV...

I do deal daily, for the last 4-5 years, and I never had any problem interconnecting new and old hardware.

are you 3rd party or dahua distributor ??????

full range of NVRs to TAKE there new 3 and 5mp cameras that cant work with existing NVRs (as old are limited to res)

216108_1.jpg

3rd party...

yes, i do know those new NVRs/DVRs... but that doesn't mean they will change the protocol.

even now, if you want to record 3MP/5MP, you could via PSS or if you will lower the main stream to 1080p.

where's the compatibility issue? the limitation is in the hardware, not in software...

if you want to record 3MP/5MP, you could via PSS

WOW long way round but we got there ......... so NVRs are usless......... just use PSS

no long way... can you point a standalone NVR that records at 3/5MP?

thread was about 1080p... and, also, "throwing" posts with no value isn't interesting

no long way... can you point a standalone NVR that records at 3/5MP?

thread was about 1080p... and, also, "throwing" posts with no value isn't interesting

most true nvrs will.

why is it not interesting ?????? if people are looking for a budget nvr they need to know its limits and its life span.

you say you have been dealing dahua for a few years so that would have been most analog as ip range has not been on market that long.

budget system ........ people are paying more for a dahua than say a aver budget unit and the aver does more and has weekly updates for ip

as i stated, please do point to a list of standalone NVRs that do 3/5MP... that means record a 3MP camera at 3MP, not record a 3MP camera at 1080p/720p/or anything lower...

if we go the "software" way, you have to compute hardware + SO license + NVR software license + energy bill + cost of a hardware watchdog

or get a server-class solution (hardware+software) and, also, add energy bill

avermedia for 1 no licence costs for any cameras.

and, also, add energy bill

well since they all plug into mains .......your not saving anything