Dixit

Looking for an 8camera system, recommendations

avermedia what? software for Windows? and that runs on air? in air? no hardware required?

well since they all plug into mains .......your not saving anything

so your smartphone charger adds up to the bill as your PC does? or your laptop? or your fridge?

avermedia what? software for Windows? and that runs on air? in air? no hardware required?

well since they all plug into mains .......your not saving anything

so your smartphone charger adds up to the bill as your PC does? or your laptop? or your fridge?

What are you talking about........ You asked for standalone ....... So avers standalone.

Smartphone fridges what ?????? Are you looking for total cost of running I NVR as well ?????? Sorry I don't get it

Which AVER NVR does 3MP recording?

And, yes, I was talking about the cost of runing a NVR...

Why look at cost of running ?????????

All avers will record a cam at 3 mp

I take it all you have used is dahua ?????

Why look at cost of running ?????????

Cause that could make a difference in a long term

All avers will record a cam at 3 mp

All avers what? NVRs? What models? I found few with VGA 1024x768 output... And no info about recording... Just info about "supporting" 3MP. That's different from recording, as i do suppose you know

I take it all you have used is dahua ?????

We worked and serviced some Aver... And, if I'm not familiar with all products, I just ask... this is the 4th time I ask you to give a product name/code and specs... and the last time, too...

Oh. I guess you mist what post was about................... Go back a few posts and you will see the NVR we where talking about.

The IWH3216 Touch II? Based on licensed Windows?

with no framerate and codec specified for IP? (also 5*16=80, so no total of 42 mp..., no up to 5MP per channel)?

Where are the tech specs of it?

Like: it can do max this @ max res ? Or max bitrate? Or max anything else?

And Aver supports what? The Microsoft System? The software? Who does the updates? Who is responsable for security bugs in Windows?

If only things were that simple...

The IWH3216 Touch II? Based on licensed Windows?

with no framerate and codec specified for IP? (also 5*16=80, so no total of 42 mp..., no up to 5MP per channel)?

Where are the tech specs of it?

Like: it can do max this @ max res ? Or max bitrate? Or max anything else?

And Aver supports what? The Microsoft System? The software? Who does the updates? Who is responsable for security bugs in Windows?

If only things were that simple...

Did not think you understud a true NVR ..........it done at camera not recorder set fps set res at camera not NVR like you do with a toy NVR

I think you don't understand very well...

The camera can encode at any level, but can the NVR decode at that level? The fun about NVRs is decoding...

I think you don't understand very well...

The camera can encode at any level, but can the NVR decode at that level? The fun about NVRs is decoding...

No they just make it up ..........are you for real ??????

Does the aver record 5 mp ........ Yes does it record 2mp ........3mp. Yes

What are you saying it can't ?????

enough.

IWH3216 Touch II is a device that supports 3/5MP, recording up to 5 mp/channel and a total of 42 MP for 16 channels (with random calculations for how does that per channel); also, recording is also random, since it can be H.264, MPEG4 or MJPEG... I bet pros installing AVER have a fixed random codec, that makes a calculus about storage and bandwith needs.

It can record 5MP, but it displays it at 2MP, as any other "toy nvr"... it runs on Windows and the support is ...on air...

enough.

IWH3216 Touch II is a device that supports 3/5MP, recording up to 5 mp/channel and a total of 42 MP for 16 channels (with random calculations for how does that per channel); also, recording is also random, since it can be H.264, MPEG4 or MJPEG... I bet pros installing AVER have a fixed random codec, that makes a calculus about storage and bandwith needs.

It can record 5MP, but it displays it at 2MP, as any other "toy nvr"... it runs on Windows and the support is ...on air...

I give up ........... See you don't understand.........its windows 7 embedded .......so no problems aver software is loaded on Dom or ssd so no security problems.

Yes display .............is it not the footage taken from unit that is important ????

"operating system: embedded Windows® XP (32-bit)"

No, the real time display is also important... or this "pro nvr" is never to be used in Centralized Surveillance?

If real time display is not interesting, we could all use NAS and pay for a good NAS management software... Why buy AVER NVR?

"operating system: embedded Windows® XP (32-bit)"

No, the real time display is also important... or this "pro nvr" is never to be used in Centralized Surveillance?

If real time display is not interesting, we could all use NAS and pay for a good NAS management software... Why buy AVER NVR?

??????????????

operating system embedded Windows® 7 (64-bit)

It has real time display also multi video wall All from unit

Lets just leave it as that ............since all your answers are guess work.

The point of the thread was was there something better that runs more than so many fps and is limited to 2mp ..............but you don't seam to think there is

We may as well throw all true NVRs out and buy cheap dahua toys

Another alternative would be an Aver NV6240 card in a mid-range PC. $500 for the card, $600 for a PC, and the rest on whatever cameras you can afford.

I'm running an NV6480 now, with 20MP or so recording on 16 channels, in one of my old i3-540 boxes, and there's lots of CPU room to spare as long as I don't watch all 16 channels at once. No per-cam licenses, tons of supported cameras, and it's been solid and stable.

The user interface is a little primitive and they don't update the software that often, but the capabilities are strong.

Looked into these Aver cards, the NV6240T, seems like a pretty powerful card that it can do 8 IP cameras with 80MP total. So with this card it would take a lot of load off the CPU since it seems its doing it all via hardware encoding at the card level and CPU would be just decoding side if you viewing it live on the computer (which for me probably wont happen as the computer if I go this route would be tucked away somewhere with no monitor hooked to it after its configured). Cant seem to find any detail on what the cpu/hardware requirements are for this or if it can be a very low end machine like sort of how you have just an i3 540 on a 16channel setup.

EXR6004 Mini this seemed nice too except its only a 4camera one.

Guess then we looking at 8 decent IP cameras that wont rip me a new one. At 200-300 a pop we at what $2400 on the high side, then the card at $390, then the cpu, so probably looking around 3000-3500 I guess. Then I guess we also need a 8port PoE hub and wiring which I can handle and take care of. That is a tad higher than I expected but if that means a nicer system I guess it is what it is. Really the camera cost is what is killing it I guess.

Dixit

Guess then we looking at 8 decent IP cameras that wont rip me a new one. At 200-300 a pop we at what $2400

Really the camera cost is what is killing it I guess.

Those comments were among the last he made. Clearly he needs to investigate camera choices too. I don't get stuck on arguments- I read what the OP has on his mind when he replies. He needs to read up on cameras and software and that's a nice blog to read with good examples, that's all.

how many monitors do you have on your aver

Just one. I have a rack with the Aver box, 2 Blue Iris boxes, and a WHS2011 box, and they all share a KVM setup.

Just one. I have a rack with the Aver box, 2 Blue Iris boxes, and a WHS2011 box, and they all share a KVM setup.

plug two monitors into your aver and it gives you much more options.

Another alternative would be an Aver NV6240 card in a mid-range PC. $500 for the card, $600 for a PC, and the rest on whatever cameras you can afford.

I'm running an NV6480 now, with 20MP or so recording on 16 channels, in one of my old i3-540 boxes, and there's lots of CPU room to spare as long as I don't watch all 16 channels at once. No per-cam licenses, tons of supported cameras, and it's been solid and stable.

The user interface is a little primitive and they don't update the software that often, but the capabilities are strong.

Looked into these Aver cards, the NV6240T, seems like a pretty powerful card that it can do 8 IP cameras with 80MP total. So with this card it would take a lot of load off the CPU since it seems its doing it all via hardware encoding at the card level and CPU would be just decoding side if you viewing it live on the computer (which for me probably wont happen as the computer if I go this route would be tucked away somewhere with no monitor hooked to it after its configured). Cant seem to find any detail on what the cpu/hardware requirements are for this or if it can be a very low end machine like sort of how you have just an i3 540 on a 16channel setup.

EXR6004 Mini this seemed nice too except its only a 4camera one.

Guess then we looking at 8 decent IP cameras that wont rip me a new one. At 200-300 a pop we at what $2400 on the high side, then the card at $390, then the cpu, so probably looking around 3000-3500 I guess. Then I guess we also need a 8port PoE hub and wiring which I can handle and take care of. That is a tad higher than I expected but if that means a nicer system I guess it is what it is. Really the camera cost is what is killing it I guess.

Dixit

When looking at the dedicated devices, it's critical to see what they max out at, as the specs aren't always clear. Some of the inexpensive Aver boxes like I used to run before switching to PC based had limitations on total MP, total resolution, total FPS, etc.

I've never quite figured out how the NV6480 does so many MP at a light CPU load. It's a hybrid card, and I think a lot of the circuitry is for the analog channels, which I don't use. Their specs show it using software compression. It doesn't appear to consume a lot of power and doesn't run very hot, so it doesn't seem to be doing that much. I think it's essentially acting as a dongle for the software, but I could be wrong.

Aver used to have a dongle-based software package, I think, but I haven't seen it on their website. I always thought the NV8416 was their hardware-accelerated board, but their comparison shows it using software compression too:

http://www.averusa.com/surveillance/download/products/NVComp.pdf

I double-checked mine last night, and when displaying 9 cams at 10-11MP, it runs 60% CPU. When I switch to the 16 cam view, it jumps to about 90%. It definitely scales up and down based on the rendering for display, not for capture or recording. I should probably leave it on 1 channel to drop the power use and heat, since this is a backup system and I don't pay much attention to it.

This is running 8 cams, one set of channels doing motion detect, and another set of channels recording the same cams at 24x7, on an i3-540 box with 4G RAM and Win7 Embedded. It's not nearly as friendly or flexible as my Blue Iris boxes, but it's been very stable and reliable. I reboot occasionally to install Windows updates, and I can't remember the last time I had to reboot for any other reason. I get about 4-5 days on a 2G drive, mostly due to the 24x7 channels. The BI box, which is motion detect only, has many weeks of recordings.

The 2 things that I don't care for in the Aver software are that the multi-screen display shows everything in 4:3 display ratio, and the pre-trigger capture is only 1 fps in the version I'm running. Since this is a backup system with 24x7 recording, neither is a showstopper. Blue Iris does both of these things better, but doesn't handle the MP load I'm running on this.

Also, the Aver phone apps aren't super stable, but I use IP Cam Viewer Pro to watch the cameras directly, and just use the Aver app to verify the system's up and running now and then.

plug two monitors into your aver and it gives you much more options.

Thanks - I'll give that a try and see how it works, though I'm a little cramped for space there and may not be able to leave 2 monitors in place.

One of the things I like about the Aver box is that it requires very little attention - I check it a few times a week to make sure there are no issues, but it doesn't need much from me, despite being Windows based.

we have lots of them out ....... not the NV but the SA (factory built) we have 32 ways that are coming upto 5 years old this year.

yes try the two monitors ...... the mouse moves from one monitor to the other ...... so live on mon1 and playback on mon2 or alarm / facefinder on mon 2