robg172

Install help - hole cutting?

Hi all,

I'm pretty new to camera installations and I'm planning to install a Dahua IP dome camera (IPC-HDW2100) onto a side brick wall.

I need to feed the female RJ45 connector through the wall (for connection inside the loft space).

The trouble is - the connector is around 30mm diameter and I'd need a fairly long and wide drill bit to get through the layer of brick and masonry.

Question - how does everyone else get around this? Can the connector be cut off and re-terminated the other end without degrading video quality?

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks

Rob.

You can either mount the camera on a back box and put the connectors in the box, outdoor of course, or drill your long hole with a skinny bit, than take a short fat bit and drill a big space on the brick and put the connectors in that space. Make sure you silicone any space where water can get to the connectors.

You can either mount the camera on a back box and put the connectors in the box, outdoor of course, or drill your long hole with a skinny bit, than take a short fat bit and drill a big space on the brick and put the connectors in that space. Make sure you silicone any space where water can get to the connectors.

Perfect, thank you for the tip.

Making your own cat5 connections can be easy once you have done a few, if done right there will be no compromise in quality. Drilling a smaller hole in masonry is always ideal especially when its a dense tough wall. You may even be able to just drill through the mortar lines depending on the makeup of the wall.

Camera manufactures need to get it- make the pig tail able to unplug to ease install. Otherwise you're stuck making a hole in the wall the size of an elephant instead of the size of network cable.

DUH.