Sign in to follow this  
mrcranky

Hello N00b would like some advice

Hello,

Been browsing the forum for a few weeks now before deciding to register, picked up some great advice just looking so far.

I was wondering if someone could give me some advice.

I currently have 2 3mp Hikvision mini dome cameras, 1080p, I want to sort out recording and remote view, my nas is a HP MicroServer N40, so it's not very beefy CPU wise, but I have 12Tb of space, my initial idea was to use NFS for recording, I.E. Get the camera to record on motion detection to a share on the NAS, however I would like remote view via a single web interface, I have installed blue iris, but the box gets bogged down with the streams, my next plan is to try and have the sub stream at a lower quality goto BI and just get the cam to record to NFS, does this sound like a good idea? How do I select the sub stream via RTSP?

I am tempted to try and get a hardware NVR, seen an 8 port Dahua, but don't really have the cash at the moment, so would like to try and get the best out of what I have got.

Is there a way to trigger BI to record a trigger from the camera?

Any suggestions are most welcome.

Chris

Could you not put Blue Iris on a regular PC and setup your NAS as a network share and just have the PC forward the video stream to the NAS for storage?

Hi, thanks for the reply, I guess I could do that, however it means another box plugged in etc.

I just found out about the iVMS server from Hikvision, I'm going to try that, by the looks of it, it lets the camera do the leg work on motion detection so shouldnt need too much of a beefy box.