Sign in to follow this  
smcctv

Running Cables inbetween Cavity Walls

Hi guys,

Any recommendation\advise on the best way to run CAT 5 and RG59 cable from loft down the cavity wall by 12 Foot and pull the cable out of the wall.

Which tools are recommended to carry out this job i.e will fiberglass cable rods do the job.

Many Thanks

Vik

There are many tools which will help you accomplish this, fiberglass push rods are a great start, I would also suggest fiberglass fish tape, ball and chain, stud sensor, and inspection cam for seeing what is in the wall.

You can get more fancy and start buying expensive tools with rollers and magnets, but what I have listed above should get you off to a good start, its more of a practice thing then a tool thing.

Also remember to run the stud sensor up and down as well so you can check for fire stops, not a problem in commercial but you find them in residential.

A pic would be a big help in offering suggestions.

Flex shaft drill bits? I haven't had the pleasure yet, but I eventually want to run cat5 from the basement to wall jacks in my old house and that's what I'll be using. Typically we do businesses and use rods and tape (and profanities) to fish drywall.

some real basic stuff we use all the time a nylon string with weight attached to drop from the top to the bottem of the wall. A wire coat hanger with a hook bent onto one end. We determine where we want our opening by finding the studs first. Use a drywall saw or similar to cut an opening. We use a caddy low voltage adaptor that lets you screw on a faceplate with whatever connector you want,

drop in the string and weight use your fishing tools (coat hanger and pull your string out tie on cable on the top and pull in.

If you get the string weight hung up in the wall for some reason you can just abandon it as you are only looking at a couple of cents.

Hi All,

Many thanks for your positive responses.

I used fibreglass Rods with a attachment, managed to push it through some stubborn wall insulation and then used a coat hanger to pull out the rod from the inside of the wall.

Like mentioned in the above comments, its a matter of practice.

Once again, many thanks for all your great advise.

Vik

Cool, Thanks SectorSecurity.

Will see if i can find a UK Supllier for Magnepull.

Regards

Vic