f13dfx

Which power supply is for ip cameras? Linear or Switching?

I'm thinking of buying a POWER ADAPTER, AC/DC, LINEAR, 12V, 2A, CEN + to power up 2 ip cameras? Both cameras have a 12VDC 1A power requirement.

I'm not an electronics expert, but what is the difference between a LINEAR and a SWITCHING power supply. Which is more appropriate for powering non-PoE ip cameras?

Thanks in advance as always!

I'm thinking of buying a POWER ADAPTER, AC/DC, LINEAR, 12V, 2A, CEN + to power up 2 ip cameras? Both cameras have a 12VDC 1A power requirement.

I'm not an electronics expert, but what is the difference between a LINEAR and a SWITCHING power supply. Which is more appropriate for powering non-PoE ip cameras?

Either type of supply should be fine if it is reasonable quality.

Switching supplies are much more energy efficient.

As mobbarley says either is fine. Linear supplies use a larger magnetic transformer and rectifier, are usually physically larger and heavier than a switching equivalent, are less efficient and are often more expensive. They produce less noise (emi radiation) than a switching supply so are a good choice where that matters. With most consumer electronics (including cameras) induced noise isn't an issue and switching supplies are fine due to less power being wasted and being cheaper. Probably more than you care to know...

Thank you!!!

As mobbarley says either is fine. Linear supplies use a larger magnetic transformer and rectifier, are usually physically larger and heavier than a switching equivalent, are less efficient and are often more expensive. They produce less noise (emi radiation) than a switching supply so are a good choice where that matters. With most consumer electronics (including cameras) induced noise isn't an issue and switching supplies are fine due to less power being wasted and being cheaper. Probably more than you care to know...