Sign in to follow this  
kiwicam

How to connect Dahua with Vitamin D software?

I have just recently bought a Dahua hfw2100 ip camera, not installed yet but still in testing phase. Like my foscam I have found the inbuilt motion detection unusable thanks to heaps of false alarms so I want to try it out with vitamin D software which I found to work really well with the foscam. Problem is I can't connect to it via Vitamin D, it is fine through internet browser but Vitamin D seems to need something other than just the ip address for this camera, perhaps all I need is the port address but don't know how to find out what that is.

I know there is free software that comes with this camera but I want to try it out on Vitamin D since I am already familiar with that and already know what should work from my experience with the foscam, also my old laptop is not powerful enough for the free Dahua software.

I should say I have already searched high and low on the internet for the information I need but can find very little and what there is does not work although apparently it is possible.

rtsp, a port of 554, and a stream path of cam/realmonitor?channel=1&subtype=1

this works in connecting the camera but the resolution is very, very low.

Subtype=0 should get you the full resolution the camera's set for, assuming this works with Vitamin D.

Woops, sorry, subtype=1 was a mistype, I was meant to type subtype=0

The video stream I get is very low resolution, well below 320x240 even. And in Dahua's own configuration the main and sub streams are much higher resolution.

Are you using the free version of Vitamin D? It is limited to 320x240 resolution, if you want higher resolutions you have to purchase the program.

If you can connect with RTSP to your camera let's say from VLC and see the main stream, then it surely is not a problem with the camera (I can connect with no problems and see the video streams at 1920x1080).

Yes I am using the free version and did forget about the resolution limitations although that does not explain why I get a resolution well below 320x240. Thanks for the vlc player tip, using that I do get the full resolution but there are quality problems with the picture, looks like compression problems, this quality issue is not there when viewing through the camera's own software on a web browser. I hope this quality issue is not present in Vitamin D if I could get the full resolution or the 320 x 240 at least. If I can test that this camera works as well with vitamin D as my foscam I will buy the full version.

Your suggestion of using vlc player put me on the right track to figuring out the extra low resolution(below 320x240) problem, I changed Vitamin D to the substream(set to around 320x240) which solved the problem, thanks.