bpworker

NVR on separate network?

Hi I'll try and keep this short. We have just recently had a new NVR system installed and I'd like to see if it's possible to

We have a dedicated T1 line coming into the office. This is fed to a switch. This switch is then fed to the main office router WAN port with has a static external IP address. From the router a cable goes from one of the LAN ports on the back to a switch. All of the office is run off of this router which handles the DHCP using a 2.xx network.

The NVR was installed as a separate network, using a separate router. Basically same setup as above, a feed from the internet T1 switch to the WAN port. From there a cable goes from one of the LAN ports to a POE switch and from there all the IP cameras and the NVR are plugged in. The addresses for this network are handled via DHCP from this second switch on a 3.xx network and this router has a separate external static IP address.

So far that's fine everything is running fine, office chugs along on it's 2.xx network and CCTV on it's 3.xx network. I can access the NVR from an office computer by typing in the static IP of the NVR router (port forwarding has been set up) and log in that way to view cameras.

My concern is that to access the NVR I'm basically typing in an external static IP address, so really going out and then coming back in. Is there a way that I can access the NVR on the 3.xx network from my office 2.xx network if I simply connect the two switches or is that asking for trouble?

You have to setup routes on your router to say when you see traffic for the 3.xx network from the 2.xx network forward it out the following port, this will keep you internal. However you will need a network connection between router A (2.xx) and router B (3.xx) with a route defined on both A and B to say when you see traffic for either network stay internal and use the route you have defined.

Let me recap and see if I understand the configuration.

1 T1 with multiple static IP addresses

Two low cost routers with two public IP addresses and one serves the PC and the others serves the Camera system.

If that's the case, please research the routers to see if they support triangular routes. Many routers are troubled by routing to an adjacent IP address. I'm reasonably confident you have each router configured with a single static IP address, and they share the same subnet mask, and the firewall is set by default to Single User Access mode. SUA.

you could have accomplished the same result by placing the second router WAN interface on the first LAN range with an unused static IP address, and created the necessary port forwards on the each router for the NVR access ports...

(that's the cheap solution) A small LAN switch that support VLANS and inter-VLAN routing and provides VLAN DHCP services would be a better choice. Netgear and others have a number of these under $500

Cheers - Andrew

we do a similar setup except life is a bit easier for us...

we are using a PC based NVR, so all I have is two IP addresses bound to the NVR, one that it talks to the camera's on, and one that it talks to the rest of the PC network on, the one that it talks to the rest of the PC network on is the one that I forward to the router etc