Numb-nuts

My newest piece of test equipment and my new outdoor Cat5

Hey guys, recently I have had a lot of fault finding jobs, location fractures in Cat5 ( Usually the installer used CCA ) finding poor connections etc. The most recent was a installation on new equipment where the client wanted me to use the exsiting coaxial cables left by the previous occupants. When I opened the service duct to view the DVR end of the cables I nearly burst a blood vessel. Sitting there stickig out of the wall were about 100 RJ45 cables, some of which were used for CCTV and some for the wired network.

In order to make some headway with this I ordered this tool kit pictured below. Like an RJ45 cable tester with a remote ID this one has eight remotes for either RJ45 BNC or RJ11, it acts as a tone generator tracer wand and cable length meter. All very useful functions for sorting out which cables were used for CCTV especially where not one single cable was labelled. Not a bad deal for about £50.00 and saves a load of time finding fractured conductors and locating the fault. Has anyone else on the forum used this kit? What do you think of it?

update sorry about typo on price corrected now

Also recently I decided to not take any risks with lengths of cat5 for outdoor use. I decided that once I find a supplier whose cable is really good I will buy it by the box 100ft or 305m. Well I now have that supplier and the price is quite good. Apart from being rated UV resistant for outdoor use this cat5 has firstly a cellophane wrap around the twisted pairs, then that is housed in a polythene white jacket and that again is housed in the outer PVC jacket. The twists are very regular and the cable is a little heavier to work with but had a solid feel to it and will radius quite tightly without danger. It's similar to that pictured below. It works great every-time and has not yet let me down Stripping it is a little more work too but it's worth every extra little effort as it saves me a lot of time and money.

222896_1.jpg

222896_2.jpg

Edited by Guest

I'm guessing from the name on that cable that it is sold as a data cable ( cat 5/6 ). Now assuming that you haven't retwisted the striped ends there are a couple of things I notice.

The brown pair is twisted the wrong direction and all the twists seem to be the same twist rate.

So has this been sold as data cabel or just twisted pair (voice)

I'm guessing from the name on that cable that it is sold as a data cable ( cat 5/6 ). Now assuming that you haven't retwisted the striped ends there are a couple of things I notice.

The brown pair is twisted the wrong direction and all the twists seem to be the same twist rate.

So has this been sold as data cabel or just twisted pair (voice)

By looking at number of twist I would safely assume it's data cable

YEAH AND I DON'T LIKE THE SHADE OF BLUE OF THE BLUE PAIR IN THE PICTURE

THE ONE IN MY OWN CABLE IS A LOT PRETTIER BLUE MORE LIK THE SEA AND SOMEONE

FORGOT TO IRON THE CABLE JACKET BEFORE THEY DRESSED IT TOO.

I also prefer when my tea is stirred clockwise instead of couter clockwise, because it tastes better that way,

just so long as it's not too fast and the wind is blowing in the right direction.

You don't need to respond like that you Numb Nut. I simply pointed out a few observations in case you knew SFA about data cable & were being ripped off.

Is that cable UL rated? We use a lot outdoor rated gel filled cable from General or Bertek. We like it because unless it is gel filled you can get moisture wicking through the whole cable. Just a hangup I guess but I am always a little worried about offshore cable with so many problems with fake UL certificates and CCA being passed off as the real deal.

Don't be so sensitive, I was having a joke with you, but perhaps I misjudged how emotional

you would be about my comments. ITS CABLE NOT MARBLE CAKE! Lightem Up fellah.

I put my comments up for a general overview and so that anyone looking for exterior cable

might take some inspiration from it, it's taken me a while to find the cable I'm happy and confident with

and frankly I'm still not going to be 100% confident until all 1000ft are used up without fault.

Yeah I know these can be because of the way cable is handled but that aside, I hope to offer some hope.

Regarding my tester, I was hoping someone might offer some encouragement about it, I am still not sure

that something so cheap is worth it's money. On paper, it looks like a great deal, and very useful,

but in practice... well I haven't had that much opportunity to try it out yet. I am sure there are techniques

to use in fault finding especially in tracing someone elses wiring, and in finding shorts or breaks.

When I think of the hours I've wasted trying to isolate breaks in a section of wire, only to replace it only

to discover a second break in another section. I hope this tester is going to help me minimize the fault location times.

Also when I get faced with a bundle of cables, RG59 or Cat5, and asked to sort them out, the mapper function will

make short work of make up for a lack of labelling and test the connections all in one operation. Gone are the days of

trial and error (I hope)

I ave looked on youtube to see if i can pick up some tips on using such an instrument but nobody on there has made a video with anything similar. Perhaps I will do that once I figure out all the techniques, I have no faith in the instruction books which are mostly poor translations from mandarin to English.

My next investment is going to be the Ranger Focus level meter from NG systems , my eyesight isn't what it once was.

By setting roughly the view angle and camera view, the AOV adjuster is locked off and the meter introduced and the focus level set by adjusting the focus ring then locking off.

I have resisted using one of these for a long time, but it's time now to start using the device to remove the subjective element of focusing. Couldn't be simpler to use and works every time.

223006_1.jpg

Don't be so sensitive, I was having a joke with you, but perhaps I misjudged how emotional

you would be about my comments. ITS CABLE NOT MARBLE CAKE! Lightem Up fellah.

I put my comments up for a general overview and so that anyone looking for exterior cable

might take some inspiration from it, it's taken me a while to find the cable I'm happy and confident with

and frankly I'm still not going to be 100% confident until all 1000ft are used up without fault.

Yeah I know these can be because of the way cable is handled but that aside, I hope to offer some hope.

Regarding my tester, I was hoping someone might offer some encouragement about it, I am still not sure

that something so cheap is worth it's money. On paper, it looks like a great deal, and very useful,

but in practice... well I haven't had that much opportunity to try it out yet. I am sure there are techniques

to use in fault finding especially in tracing someone elses wiring, and in finding shorts or breaks.

When I think of the hours I've wasted trying to isolate breaks in a section of wire, only to replace it only

to discover a second break in another section. I hope this tester is going to help me minimize the fault location times.

Also when I get faced with a bundle of cables, RG59 or Cat5, and asked to sort them out, the mapper function will

make short work of make up for a lack of labelling and test the connections all in one operation. Gone are the days of

trial and error (I hope)

I ave looked on youtube to see if i can pick up some tips on using such an instrument but nobody on there has made a video with anything similar. Perhaps I will do that once I figure out all the techniques, I have no faith in the instruction books which are mostly poor translations from mandarin to English.

My next investment is going to be the Ranger Focus level meter from NG systems , my eyesight isn't what it once was.

By setting roughly the view angle and camera view, the AOV adjuster is locked off and the meter introduced and the focus level set by adjusting the focus ring then locking off.

I have resisted using one of these for a long time, but it's time now to start using the device to remove the subjective element of focusing. Couldn't be simpler to use and works every time.

223006_1.jpg

I don't think it was ME being emotional & if you put up your posts for general comment then maybe you need to learn how to accept the comment. Maybe no one will comment on your tester because you behave like a prick

In order to make some headway with this I ordered this tool kit pictured below. Like an RJ45 cable tester with a remote ID this one has eight remotes for either RJ45 BNC or RJ11, it acts as a tone generator tracer wand and cable length meter. All very useful functions for sorting out which cables were used for CCTV especially where not one single cable was labelled. Not a bad deal for about £50.00 and saves a load of time finding fractured conductors and locating the fault. Has anyone else on the forum used this kit? What do you think of it?

Looks nice, can this be bought online?

If you mean the Cable mapper and tone generator kit.

Absolutely, it can, both in UK and in the USA and Australia on ebay of all places. I searched for day for the best price, ended up paying about a few dollars more because I wanted the blue one rather than the red (as if it makes a difference ? ).

This is the link to the re-listed product in Australian Dollars. I offered al but a few dollars less and was decided so I ended up paying the full price

If you feel you may also have a need for the item, I am certain it will pay for itself within a few months and pay me back ten times within a year. I hope it will be worthwhile for you too. Read the description, I think you'll be impressed as I was.

IF you mean the Ranger Focus level meter it is available online in the UK from its manufacturer NG and I've seen it online on AMerican sites too about the same price as here in the UK If it weren't for my eyesight deteriorating I don't think I'd bother with it, as it does one job and only one job. A lot of money for an item that only does one job.

Numb Nuts!!!!1

VECTOR18!!!!!

I don't think it was ME being emotional & if you put up your posts for general comment then maybe you need to learn how to accept the comment. Maybe no one will comment on your tester because you behave like a prick

YOU SHOULD KNOW PAL Both your handle and your insults seem to somehow have a common theme to them.

I'm done now, I don't respond to "eejuts" that resort to insults even if I were to blame by making clumsy comments.

Consider yourself blocked, I don't use profanities and don't like to see them in writing either, insults roll off me like water off a ducks back.

SUCKER there goes that theme again...

Is that cable UL rated? We use a lot outdoor rated gel filled cable from General or Bertek. We like it because unless it is gel filled you can get moisture wicking through the whole cable. Just a hangup I guess but I am always a little worried about offshore cable with so many problems with fake UL certificates and CCA being passed off as the real deal.

I just wish I could get gel filled at a reasonable price but it's hard enough to find let alone at an acceptable price. One nick and I throw the cable out, this is especially so when I am running 3 together on an outside wall and have to make my own cable grips they don't have the clips (that width here) and often the brick walls are old and the ointing is dried out and like sand so i have to either use wall plugs or seriously long masonry nails. Occasionally I hithte cable with a hammer by mistake and inspect the cable for nicks or damage before continuing. I have had to start again with the cable a couple times, I've been luck.

You show good practice when you are fussy about the materials you use, some installers couldn't give 'the toss' so its better that you are fussy. Without seeing your work I'm willing to bet it's good stuff and tidy. It's that attitude than make all the difference. Don't apologize for it.

It may well be UL rated I'm not sure what that should be but I haven't seen a conformity certificate yet. BUt I expect to need one before long to put in a quotation file. Good point I hadn't thought about. I like the new cable just fine and I have had some real dreadful cable

Good cable makes good economic sense... believe me I found out the expensive way

Absolutely, it can, both in UK and in the USA and Australia on ebay of all places. I searched for day for the best price, ended up paying about a few dollars more because I wanted the blue one rather than the red (as if it makes a difference ? ).

This is the link to the re-listed product in Australian Dollars. I offered al but a few dollars less and was decided so I ended up paying the full price

Yes I meant the cable mapper, thanks!!!

Numb Nuts!!!!1

VECTOR18!!!!!

YOU SHOULD KNOW PAL Both your handle and your insults seem to somehow have a common theme to them.

I'm done now, I don't respond to "eejuts" that resort to insults even if I were to blame by making clumsy comments.

Consider yourself blocked, I don't use profanities and don't like to see them in writing either, insults roll off me like water off a ducks back.

SUCKER there goes that theme again...

You behave like a spoilt brat & then get offended when someone takes you to task. I didn't insult you I simply commented on your hehaviour. I guess that getting blocked is supposed to ruin my day.

Anyway I would still be careful of that cable

I guess I should have looked closer you probably don't have UL across the pond but something similar. The other thing about cheap cable is if it comes in pull boxes often it is packaged poorly and you waste a lot of time trying to fix the tangles as you get to the ends of the box.

I guess I should have looked closer you probably don't have UL across the pond but something similar. The other thing about cheap cable is if it comes in pull boxes often it is packaged poorly and you waste a lot of time trying to fix the tangles as you get to the ends of the box.

I am sure we do have UL rated cable, I just don't know anything about it if I'm honest. I leaned my work through working and reading and forums, (and hate to admit it but) you tube and more forums, working with others and a couple raining courses. No formal apprenticeship or related college study, so I often dont know such things as they aren't always necessary to completing the job. I learned a lot of things the hard way I'm sad to say but once bitten and all that jaz....

Yes I meant the cable mapper, thanks!!!

Most welcome my friend, hope you can benefit from it. I am guessing, but I believe it will pay me back within 12 months or less, so its a steal at that price. When I think of the time I've wasted locating wiring faults. Think of the stress it will safe you too eh?

Hey Numb-Nuts how do you find the quality? I want to get something for tracing wires and detecting faults, as I have had many times where I have sat there going hmm I wonder if a cable snapped while being pulled.

Hey Numb-Nuts how do you find the quality? I want to get something for tracing wires and detecting faults, as I have had many times where I have sat there going hmm I wonder if a cable snapped while being pulled.

The quality hmmmmm? Thats a good question, well I don't cinsider myself experienced enough with the thing just yet to comment but pertaining to build quality...

If you are familiar with the orange and grey Test monitor/ cable tester/ colour bar generator and PTZ controller/ mdigital multimeter the build quality is about equal to that. I wouldn't go dropping the thing too often but it's rugged enough. They even look similar come to think of it?

223230_1.1222896_1.jpg

You've just given me an idea I am going to see of the tester rubber protection jacket fit the other meter and I may try and get another for the cable tester. Thanks for that one... Stroke of Genius PING!

I know the jacks identify themselves on the orange meter when testing Patch leads etc,

A TIP: If you haven't go to don't want to buy such an elaborate tester, you cna use a cable checker on your length of cat5 check for breaks by installing an RJ45 on either end and test the cable. RJ45s are relatively cheap and so are Cat5 testers. Could save hours of scratching your head. This is the method I used up to now, far too often I might add.

Good suggestion Numb-Nuts never thought to do that, might get the tester as knowing there is a brake in the cable isn't as good as knowing exactly where the break is, but in a pinch this idea would work great.

I have the CCTV test monitor you pictures and agree its sturdy but I doubt it will survive a fall from my ladder. What I do like about it is it has a 12V power source, just wish it had gator clips for the power as I usually install 12/24 VAC auto sensing cameras that just have wire leads which I tie into 22/4 security wire with B crimps, would save me from having to use a power balun to get it to work, although I guess I could rig something up myself.

What other cool tools do you have in your bag?

Good suggestion Numb-Nuts never thought to do that, might get the tester as knowing there is a brake in the cable isn't as good as knowing exactly where the break is, but in a pinch this idea would work great.

I have the CCTV test monitor you pictures and agree its sturdy but I doubt it will survive a fall from my ladder. What I do like about it is it has a 12V power source, just wish it had gator clips for the power as I usually install 12/24 VAC auto sensing cameras that just have wire leads which I tie into 22/4 security wire with B crimps, would save me from having to use a power balun to get it to work, although I guess I could rig something up myself.

What other cool tools do you have in your bag?

I don't know about cool, but let me see I absolutely love my iroda blow torch and cheap gas soldering iron. Oh of course I couldn't manage without my cable pulling rods but be careful, the threads snap it placed under too much pressure Mine are 10 x 1m rods in a tube I need a replacement set now as mine are now in a tragic state. Oh and of course my conduit bending spring and conduit cutter ( no burrs like a hacksaw) A set of slipjoint pliers are essential for me too. I use the mini ones to close jelly splices and scotchlocks, great job.

223252_1.1223252_2.1223252_3.1223252_1.1%20223252_4.1

Well yes I do have a couple of custom lead I made one is a 4m length of mini G59 with power, at one end a BNC and 2.1mm X 5mm DC plug for the camera, plus at the other end a BNC and the power plug to the meter, not sure of the size bu its smaler and it has two pins which I soldered the power to and heat shrink insulated. This DC plug doesn'r sit poking out, the lead goes 90deg paralel with the side of the meter to the BNC. I use this for clients while I adjust the position of cameras, I will make a much shorter one, I also have a 6" cable with a DC socket at one end and a pair of crimped ferrules on the other to power body cameras ( works a treat usually but not always)

I plan to use it with microphones.