Chris_!

Worth repairing ACTi ACM-1432 IR bullet cam?

Recently, my ACM-1432N camera wasn't working properly so I contacted ACTi whom attempted to upgrade the firmware on the camera. Well, now it's bricked and they've given me an RMA on it. That's great, but it's not under warranty so it's going to cost $85 not including shipping to repair it. So let's assume $20 shipping $105 to repair a camera that's 5 years old and still only supports 811 x 508 resolution.

I'm not sure this camera is worth sending back under an RMA. I've looked on eBay to see if any are available, and found an ACM-1431N (looks like the only difference is that one supports POE) for $275 + $17.50 shipping - which IMO is way overpriced. There's a ACM-1511 listed for $200 that would take me up to a megapixel cam, and I can swap the innards into the 1432 housing so it could be used outdoors. Not sure either of those options are worth the trouble.

http://www.acti.com/product/detail/Bullet_Camera/ACM-1432

I guess the question is, if it was your camera would you bother fixing it, or just replace it for a used sub-$100 cam? This is for home use, so there's a budget to be concerned with.

Before it's demise, it covered my driveway

Absolutely, you can always use it somewhere or sell it. It's a good thing ACTi does this because I had an Axis camera that failed after warranty and they would not fix it at any price, so off to the landfill.