I need a DVR card to capture high quality video and sound from 1 camera that will be later be burned on to a DVD. Right now I’m looking at a Geovision GV-600-4. Is there anything that is better or that’s does mpeg-2 encoding?

If you want to burn the video into the DVD file structure for playing the disc in a stand alone player you will have to record in MPEG-2 optimally as that is DVD’s native compression.

There are other codecs that you can convert to DVD, but you have to check out the codecs that are being used by the various DVR cards you are looking at.

If you record to MEPG-2 you can use NERO to transcode the video to VOB files that can then be burned to a DVD for playing back in a stand alone DVD player.

I will be using Adobe premier to edit and burn DVD’s. What I’m trying to do is make a speakers corner type box were people can leave video messages. I’m thinking of using the motion detection feature to start and stop video. What do you guys think?

I can’t comment on the setup, but I can tell you don’t need premier for this simple task, unless you need a lot of customization and video effects.

When I create home movies I capture to MPEG-2, use VideoRedo to edit it. VideoRedo is the best editor I have found for editing MPEG-2 video. It is very fast too because it doesn’t have to re-encode any video.

I then use NeoDVD by Mediostream which is the fastest encoder/transcoder I have used. NeoDVD can transcode many different types of video (all the common formats) to VOB (DVD files) for burning to DVD.

I already have Adobe Premier and I’m pretty good with it. I also have Adobe After Effects so I can do some pretty nice titles and effects. I would like to find a card that does mpeg-2 if possible. Anyone have any ideas?

Do you really need a DVR card?

I have an ATI All In Wonder Card that has motion detection ability.

But if you don’t already have a capture card then check out each DVR card out to see what video formats they can record in if the DVD ability is of high importance.

I have a GeoVision system here now and it uses a proprietary codec for recording at 720x480. You would need a card that could record in a common format or find a program that will do the conversion for you. They may even have one for the GEO, but I don’t know because I haven’t looked into it.

The Hybrid card from Geo is a little overrated. It is nowhere near "DVD" quality of video as it has been advertised to deliver.

Scottj