pbrama

Help choosing CCTV cameras

We are setting up a system for our store.... it is a drive-thru convenience store.

Through our research, we are pretty decided on Geovision GV1120 card with software and have already purchased a nice Dell system to run everything.

We are now looking into what types of cameras are available, brands, features, pricing, etc. Now the REAL confusion starts.

Through our discussions and research, we have decided that at least one "nice" color camera with zoom may be ideal to "oversee" the register. Are concerns come with what is ideal for resolution, auto-iris, focal points, etc.

The other cameras, we are considering bullet style and again are not sure of what ideal resolutions, etc would be.

Two of the "key" factors that may play into this both pertain to the type of store we have. We are in Michigan outside of Detroit and because of the drive thru, the inside temperature of our place varies from 70/80s in the summer to 10/20s in the winter. How does this temperature range affect the cameras?

The second factor has to do with daytime vs nightime. We have lights inside, of course, but get large light fluctuations due to headlights on vehicles at night and sunlight during the day.

Any suggestions/help/recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

In addition, because this is basically an "open air" facility, the temperature in the winter months can get into the teens and are concerned with camera operability at those

A DELL system to run a Geo???????????????

You should have done your research first.

Talk to Scottj, he can pin point you in the right direction, since he's the in-house GEO expert.

Dude your getting a Dell!

What do guys like if you don’t like the super, duper, wuper, Dell?

I like Dell.

When it comes to buying a camera(s), specifying an estimate of how much you want to spend will help narrow down your choices.

Spend some time reading through the camera section of the forum. There is plenty of information there regarding cameras. Then once you get and idea about what you might like ask a question.

pm me and I'll allow you to see a install of mine that has a drive thru, text overlay on registers, and several indoor/outdoor camera's.

concerning your questions.....

outdoor camera's; If no lighting I go with the 9100EX and if lited I go with a decent low light outdoor armor dome.

indoor camera's; I'd go with color, highres, low light, varifocal, smoke domes. smoke to hide the direction of the camera. on the registers I position the camera's directly above (ceilings are 8ft false) and the varifocals will allow you to adjust pic to your needs.

as far as cold weather; I would not worry about it as most camera's can handle the temps you are listing above. You'll have a year or more warranty on the cams so make sure if you run into probs that you have reviewed the return policies BEFORE you purchase.

Color zoom on register? I think that maybe a waste of money unless you are going to sit and zoom all day. Your overall "quality" will be in the camera + resolution + recorded resolution = great pics. Make a solid note on the "recorded resolution" and make sure you understand the differences between a 320x240 pic and a 640x480 pic. the differences in quality are night and day and the higher recorded resolution will eat CPU and hard drive space so make sure that you allow for that. ie. i have 16 cams running at 640x480, motion recording, 7fps, 30bpf....on a 3.4E Server that consumes 55% of the CPU processing power when at an "idle" but it will jump up when motion starts recording and will hold at 95% or better when Server is handling a WEB viewer. ie. the install mentioned above is a 15 camera system on a 3.4 with 6 camera's at 640x480 and the rest at 320x240........CPU runs at 55% and runs a constant 85% when busy and the WEB viewer pushes it to 100% easy....but since it is not viewed by anyone but me and the owner the WEB view CPU usage is np. storage on both (ie) is approx. 1 week on the 640x480 and 3 weeks on the 320x240 at motion record, 2 on record always. My point is this; plan a higher resolution record system and you will appreciate the quality and the bang for buck is obvious.

oh, lighting issues? f you buy a decent camera t will have all the dip switches to handle any lighting issue. read up on it here in the forum. bottom line is you may not be able to avoid problems with headlights but you will be able to handle natural light changes via camera settings.