functor

Thinking of getting GXV3672_FHD, but need wider view

Hello guys, the Grandstream GXV3672_FHD is basically exactly right for the features and price I am looking for... but it's too narrow. Can anyone recommend a similar camera but with wider angle?

Thanks

Doh, it has a 8mm fixed lens, relly? Makes me wonder why they would make a camera like this and not put in a wider lens, or a varifocal... Have you considered opening the camera to change the lens yourself, or that is not an option?

That's a good idea, but how easy is it to open it? Is there some kind of sealing? I am an engineer so I would be able to handle it if I knew the specs / if it's possible. This is a very good quality camera minus the lens issue - and very cheap (£250). Every single review list the lens as a "minus" but everything else is good

I use an ACTi E32 3MP IR bullet, has a nice wide view, about the same price. Also the D32 if you don't care about WDR and want a lower price.

Maybe I can experiment with a really cheap (almost free) IP cam I got ( http://www.svplannet.com/SECURITY-EQUIPMENT/Xenta-Outdoor-60-IR-LED-Wireless-IP-CCTV-Camera ), which also has a 8mm lens. It works well and the picture is ok other than the lens.

@ the ACTi, I was actually looking at them. The E32 is about £50 more expensive, which is OK. WDR is a nice thing to have, and I guess I could live with +£50. I will have it on my list if nothing else.

Edited by Guest

Changing M12 lenses on IR cameras is tricky because they come in various lengths and can interfere with the IR LEDs, the IR cut filter operation, can be too short and not focus properly. If you manage to take the one out that you have, measure it's length and see if you can get one close to that length but in about a 4mm. Also, some cameras made for telephoto focal lengths may not work with a wider lens because the housing may come into the picture and you'll get vignetting.

What about the 3662FHD plus a separate illuminator? I was thinking about replacing an analog outdoor camera and would probably go that route from the Grandstream lineup. For one thing, that gets the darn insect-attracting light source away from the camera. Plus you get auto-iris and varifocal features. In my case, I also have an el-cheapo IR illuminator from Ebay already.

if you can afford it external illumination is always the way to go, just it costs...not just the illuminator, but the cabling for it & installation.

Ok, found the GXV3662 FHD, the price is about £300 vs the £400 of the ACTi E74, and it would need an extra Illuminator.

A question, http://www.use-ip.co.uk/acti-e74-3mp-outdoor-dome-camera-with-d-n-ir-superior-wdr-and-a-fixed-2-93mm-lens.html

Does the ACTi E74 support PTZ? It isn't clear in the spec for it... There is another dome with "PTZ" in the name that is double the price which makes me wonder. It does have "PTZ" in the user manual.

I have a review on the Hikvision (Swann version) on my blog as well as the E32. I'm testing a D74 which has superior WDR and frankly, don't see much of a difference between it and the E32 WDR. What makes a bigger difference is the WDR on their KCM-5611, they have a different name for it than basic and superior, but it's actually sensor WDR, not image processed WDR, but may be out of your price range.

Wait, are you saying the WDR on the E74 and E32 is Digital? (Image Processed)? Nothing to do with the sensor? In that case, why not just do it on the PC I use as a recorder...? The KCM WDR is called "Advanced WDR"

Ok, found the GXV3662 FHD, the price is about £300 vs the £400 of the ACTi E74, and it would need an extra Illuminator.

A question, http://www.use-ip.co.uk/acti-e74-3mp-outdoor-dome-camera-with-d-n-ir-superior-wdr-and-a-fixed-2-93mm-lens.html

Does the ACTi E74 support PTZ? It isn't clear in the spec for it... There is another dome with "PTZ" in the name that is double the price which makes me wonder. It does have "PTZ" in the user manual.

Wow! well, the camera I was suggesting is $210 USD for 3mp 86 degree wide angle lens (at it's maximum setting) + PoE + Freight to Australia, but if you WANT to spend more money :P

So far, other than a few little niggles they have been rock sold, not a single frame drop listed in Milestone, keep in mind that this is a rebadged Grandstream, it's a Grandstream pcb/cmos so other than not being able to be set (in milestone) to less than 15fps they've been great...

on to the pictures:

Normal image

224723_1.png

Zoomed in (using software/digital)

http://s1056.photobucket.com/user/mgoodwinmr2/media/Zoomin_zpsebbacfcf.png.html?sort=3&o=5

Indoor IR (only 2-3 m from camera to door)

http://s1056.photobucket.com/user/mgoodwinmr2/media/NightVisionIPQIndoor_zps0fe0cd32.png.html?sort=3&o=7

popped it open to look at the lens:

http://s1056.photobucket.com/user/mgoodwinmr2/media/ipqinsides2_zps608a6043.jpg.html?sort=3&o=11

the IR when mounted 8 meters high, that concrete it's attempting to light up is around 15-20 meters away from the camera

http://s1056.photobucket.com/user/mgoodwinmr2/media/lol_zps4093c4d3.png.html?sort=3&o=1

here's what it looks like mounted around 4-5 meters up at night with IR... so you might want to supply white light or follow other suggestions of external IR

http://s1056.photobucket.com/user/mgoodwinmr2/media/Night_zpscc1a5bb5.png.html?sort=3&o=2

Now...the bad:

1, In Milestone for some reason if you set the camera to under 15fps it stuffs up, I think it's firmware but grandstream show no interest in fixing it

2, I have yet to find a way to turn off the inbuilt IR, short of maybe cutting some wires, this needs to be turned off or you will have issues with spiderweb etc

3, the focus knobs are easy to accidentally bump when it's being installed, most of our camera's are slightly off and I'm going to get a boom lift next time we have a one spare for a few hours and get them just right

of other note about the images, I found that I could actually considerably improve the dynamic range in the settings, so the shot up there which shows the Dynamic range is actually worse than what it can do.

You should be able to unplug the IR board to see how it does. Some cameras work OK with the board unplugged, others use the light sensor on it for mode changes and need to have it connected. You never know until you try.

the PCB to IR board is hardwired, if I want it off I think I need to cut it!

keep in mind we've bought 12 of these camera's so far, and the latest batch we bought have a Version B that might allow turning off IR (it's engrish so it could be hidden somewhere) my boss actually like's to use the IR even if it's not that useful, so I've not had incentive to find it yet

Yeah, that does complicate things! Some people tape over the LEDs to either reduce the IR or block it completely. That makes for an easily reversible test setup to see how you like it.

I've found covering the LEDs on the glass side causes a huge amount of reflection, but it probably depends on the IR isolation design for the glass.

Yeah, that does complicate things! Some people tape over the LEDs to either reduce the IR or block it completely. That makes for an easily reversible test setup to see how you like it.

I've found covering the LEDs on the glass side causes a huge amount of reflection, but it probably depends on the IR isolation design for the glass.

Exactly as you say...

but I figure if I cut it I can always solder it back together if I'm that keen