cmf

Geo-adding custom capture

Do you know if it is possible to add a custom capture for a camera hooked into the Geo software? I would like to add an outside temperature reading so when I use the web/remote view I can tell what the temp is outside (displayed next to the camera id/name). I was thinking it could do something with the I/O setting (hooking a thermostat or something into the pc's com/usb port), but it looks like that is for motion detection/alarm triggering.

Curious if anyone has had any success with doing something like this.

I am hoping this is the correct forum for a topic such as this, not sure if this falls into 'Installation Help and Accessories' or another forum.

I've tried searching for this via the web, and did not find anything relevant.

Carl

not sure i understand?

You can shoot a camera on the thermestat so you can see it .. or do you want it to alert you when it reaches a certain temperature? If that is the case you can use a temp alert device that triggers when it reaches a pre programmed temperature .. we use them in the alarm world ..

or do you just want to impose the temperature on an existing camera like POS style ..?

rory

I think your option of imposing the temp, pos style, sounds interesting. I haven't looked into the pos option. Maybe I could hook a device to transmit the temp outside to a device connected to the geo pc.

I don't necessarily want to be alerted, just curious to see what the temp is when I peak into the system/cameras.

Carl

you can get those thermastats that have a long line outside, so you could just put a cheap camera on the thermestat inside ...?

I was hoping to do something without adding another camera. Something like putting a temp module on the outside of the house, and have that transmit the temp (wirelessly) to something hooked to the pc, then display that temp in a camera caption.

I have a wireless weather station that sits in my kitchen that displays the outside temp - there is a separate module that is attached to the outside of the house that transmits the temp/humidity back to the weather station. That got me thinking of this scenario.

what about , get the one that displays it on your desktop, the DVR desktop, then use VNC to logon and view the desktop ..?

It can be done. You need a temperature indicator that uses ASCII text output then you can capture the text data and overlay it into the video, similiar to the Kalatel Cyberdomes with the keyboard controller.

Scottj

Unless you need a specific temperature measurement at your place of monitoring you are going through way too much trouble to find out the outside temp.

Like Rory said, you can just have a program like “WheatherBugâ€

It's cold here with snow on the ground (sort of). I certainly do not need a camera to tell me that I will be freezing my boys off tomorrow morning on the way to work.

Scottj

I stopped producing after my PDL hearing (Payment During Litigation) about 8 years ago. Once I calculated the 21 year payment plan I was tempted to take an Xacto knife and do the job myself....

Scottj

yep, its cool, hot, windy, raining .. one of those

he may be far far away from his house though .. me i would always be less than 21 miles .. plus we really dont have seasons so ..

I wanted to see what the temp was when I was out of town. I could do the weatherbug/weather channel thing, but this would be much more of a challenge.

I guess the question boils down to if you can hook an external device to the geo software, then display/overlay that device on the camera caption. The caption already displays time/date/camera id and camera name. I was hoping to add to that caption, and display the temp.

I'll have to look into what scottj mentioned, and overlay it to the video.

you could even skip the Geo part of it, and use a 3rd party device that just puts the text on the camera feed, so that way the Geo will see it anyway.

Any suggestions on that third party?

I think he is wanting the challenge of hooking it up and getting the reward of a job well done.

I like that idea rory, and I'll echo Jasper, any suggestions on a third party device?

This is quickly becoming a hazardous-to-the-wallet hobby.

http://www.digitalglu.com/Products.htm?PHPSESSID=3fbd41d12ec356b6c731aa514eef231e

The thermalGlu is a programmable thermostat that can be used as a standalone thermostat or communicate using a simple, secure 2-wire serial interface. It has the following features:

- It can be programmed using front panel buttons like an ordinary thermostat.

- sophisticated programs based on schedules can be programmed using computer software and then communicated to the thermostat using an iButton device (that can be the same iButton used as a key for the lockGlu!).

- When the lock has been linked to the computer using the simple, secure 2-wire serial interface, the programming can be transmitted directly from the computer to the thermalGlu. The programming can also take into account additional trigger events, such as arming or disarming of the security system, alarm settings for a communicating alarm clock, door openings, weather forecasts, etc.

- Multiple thermalGlus can be used in concert to orchestrate motors controlling airflow, blinds, etc. for differential temperature control in different rooms.

- The thermostat can send alerts by email, pager or cell phone of abnormal conditions (e.g. an unoccupied cottage where the heating has failed and pipes are in danger of bursting).

- The thermostat can be remotely monitored and controlled through a secure Web interface.

[NOTE FROM rory - once it has a web interface, it can probably be customized to do whatever you want - but you probably wanna look for something with RCA/Composite out ]