sf1964

dealers:need quote for geo system

just spoke with a rep and was advised to buy a computer with gv 1248 card for 8 channels with an 600 gig hard drive complete with silver dvd cd rw 480/240rec.l have a cctv monitor and cameras already l am replacing a nuvico xg dvr that l have issues with and l am looking for a simplified setup with good recording quality and remote access with dynamic ip.

He gave me a price but am not sure if it is retail or wholesale,if someone could could give me a quote you can pm me,l am looking to possibly buy in the next couple of days.

ps. anyone with experience with this setup or recommend it? comments would be appreciated.

I recently purchased that same card and installed it to a 1 1/2 year old pent4 pc. I have a 250gb hard drive, with 6 cameras monitoring/recording. I've only had this up and running for a few weeks, so I can't speak for the size of the hard drive, but I think 600gb will be plenty. I'm still tinkering with the recording sensitivity, but it appears I use about 8gb a day in video storage. Granted this is for a home setup, so there is not a tremendous amount of activity that invokes the video record.

I upgraded the pc's video card and memory (to 1gb ram). I originally had 512mb ram, which ran fine, but I found upgrading to 1gb ram improved the recording performance, albeit slightly. The geo system is the only thing running on this machine.

Although I have a static ip, I punch a hole through my firewall for remote view/web view, I think you can do something similar with a dynamic ip - using a service such as dyndns.org or no-ip.com.

Hope this helps...

Edited by Guest

thanks cfm,how does the memory on the video card affect the quality of recorded video?l want something top notch,so anybody suggest with the best setup ie speed and memory,recording quality etc

the system i got for the club here, from scott, has high quality parts, great machine .. im not sure what exact model the ATI card is but im sure he can tell you. Its a 1GB Memory, 750GB HDD (3 drives), and a 3 Ghz P4 .. rack case.

As far as I know, the memory effects the refresh display speed, and i imagine the quality on the local CCTV monitor (not the recorded quality?)

From the research I did prior to the purchase of the system, I think rory is correct about the memory on the video card. I think it only affects the local monitor. I think the GV card affects the recorded quality, as well as the memory on the machine itself - but I am not totally sure. When I upgraded the machine's ram to 1gb, it seemed to smooth out a bit.

that being said, for my system, I went with a ATI radeon x700 pro graphics card with 256mb ram on the card, and it works well when I'm at the pc looking at all 6 cameras. I have a regular tv that I hooked to the rca connector on the GV card, and it displays all 6 cameras in real time.

As for the recording quality, currently I am using next to the highest setting for each camera, and it records well. there is a little frame delay, but not enough to bother me. I found the highest recording setting eats up a lot of hd space, and it wasn't worth the setting to gain a little more smoothness in the video. With your potential 600gb hd, the highest setting may serve you well.

the system ram and CPU makes the recording difference, as it is software compression, etc.