henoblah

Audio & Video like "Big Brother"

We want to install an audio & video system to work as a family on our communication. Think Supernanny, nanny911, big brother, etc.

I need to monitor only a few rooms. I could probably get away a camera in the kitchen and one in the family room. Depending on cost, I could then jump to installing something in each bedroom but it's not a necessity.

I am really at a loss on the best way to do this. I've thought of setting up a few go pros, a few camcorders, or is there a CCTV system with analog inputs.

Thanks

Just about any cheap DVR kit system should work for that. Just make sure you order compatible microphones if the kit doesn't come with audio-capable cams. Recording "public" audio is illegal in some jurisdictions so it isn't a common basic option now, but most will allow you to add mics yourself.

Thanks. I think I may be starting with a boxed system rather than trying to piece it together. I have spent hours on this site educating myself, and I am now intrigued by PoE NVR System. I like POE because my buddy does CAT 5 wiring so I can get this at no cost and I have tons of different SD cards, memory sticks, etc.

Now my concern is this... Can this type of system still record audio? If so can it do it through the CAT 5 wiring or will I need to run another cable (RCA) to each camera where I want to record audio.

One product I was looking at for reference was Zmodo ZP-KC1H04-P 4 Channel 4 IP 720P PoE NVR System (no HDD)

I have no experience with the Zmodo NVR but not only do you have to make sure that the camera supports audio out like luckyfella said but also that the NVR or software solution supports audio with the camera you want to use. For instance, my Axis P3364VEs support audio and so does Avigilon software, but Avigilon software does not support audio from my Axis cameras.

Hmm. Now I'm concerned. I'm not sure I will be able to decipher whether or not the system supports what I am looking for. Maybe I should go back to the drawing board? Any thoughts or suggestions?

Ask the vendor of the Zmodo what they recommend to use with it or if they have experience using the cams you want to run with it. Just don't assume that everything works with everything.