Sign in to follow this  
zoster

the Costco 12 0r 16 Cam system

I'm a newbie here and have to get a security camera system up and running at my home ASAP. Have had a number of problems with break-ins and vandalism and want to get set up as soon as I can.

Right now Costco has a Q-see 12 or 16 cam system (forgot which but I know the dvr will handle a total of 16) on sale for $599 and I've seen several posts here and elsewhere that say, for the money, it's a tough deal to beat. I was wondering if any of you have this system or are familiar with it and would care to comment on the quality, ease of use and especially the ease of installation. I would want to get a couple of additional cameras with high resolution, variable magnification (dome) and/or low light use that were compatible with this dvr. Are the higher end Q-see cameras or cams that are compatible with this Q-see dvr capable of delivering performance that would allow recognizing faces and/or license plate numbers? Also, is this dvr capable of performing at that level with the proper cameras? How are the cameras that come with this system?

Have never installed before so a system that is easy to install and has good support service is important.

Any help here will be really appreciated. Thanks in advanced.

Zoster

I bought this system a few weeks ago from Costco online and took it back. The image in all situations was very bad. I even wrote a review and gave it two stars on the Costco web site. Up until a week ago there were 6 reviews for this system. At least three people gave it 1 star. Well Costco removed all the reviews and for several days there was nothing. I wrote another review and Costco didn't publish it.

Right now there is one review and its not even for this product (look at model number in the review). I even sent Costco online an email asking why they removed the previous reviews. They never replied back.

I ended up buying a-la-cart and couldn't be happier. I didn't get a DVR , 12 cameras and all the wiring but I didn't waste $599 on something I would never be satisfied with.